Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other Arabic-speaking countries
Morocco is similar to many countries throughout North Africa and the Middle East. A majority of the people in the top five countries speak Arabic and the vast majority of their population is Muslim. They also have similar geography, since they have hot, dry climates.
The four least similar countries are all islands located in the Pacific Ocean. Three of the five least similar have English as an official language. These countries are also wealthier than Morocco.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Morocco
- Algeria is another former French protectorate. Both countries have many Berber people, but most people natively speak Arabic. From an infrastructure standpoint, they are also quite close. They are both part of synchronous electrical grid of Continental Europe and also use mostly natural gas to create electricity. Furthermore, both uses the standard railroad gauge as well. Still, Algeria’s territory is much larger than Morocco and most of it is inhabitable desert.
- Tunisia was also a French protectorate, like Algeria and Morocco, albeit for a longer time. The two countries share the same public religious holidays. They also both use Type C, E electrical outlets. Their geography is also quite alike. However, Morocco is a constitutional monarchy. In addition, it has a much higher percentage of Berbers.
- Egypt is also located in North Africa and has a similar standard of living. However, Egypt has more of a British influence than Morocco. In addition, both countries governments are classified as authoritarian regimes, although Morocco is a constitutional monarchy, while Egypt is currently a military dictatorship. Their legal systems are also alike.
- Jordan is another Arab country where the monarchy has considerable power, but both are reforming their governments to have more democratic elements. Both countries are relatively mountainous countries that are mostly desert. However, Jordan is in Asia and is nearly landlocked.
- Mauritania is located to the south of Morocco. It is the only other predominately Muslim, Arabic-speaking country that borders the Atlantic Ocean. There are some big differences between these countries as well. Mauritania’s population has a greater degree of Sub-Saharan African ancestry. Furthermore, its standard of living is lower and its infrastructure is less developed.
- Syria, 7. Libya, 8. Iraq, 9. Lebanon, 10. Saudi Arabia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Morocco
- Japan‘s demographics, culture, and technology are especially different from Morocco. Its population is much older and its birth rate is quite low. Furthermore, its people are much less religious. Not only is its infrastructure much more developed, but it uses different standards. Vehicles drive on the left, the electrical outlets are Type A, B, and its trains mostly use the 3’6″ rail gauge.
- Taiwan is another island in the Pacific where most people have East Asian ancestry. Furthermore, Taiwan is one of the most liberal East Asia countries. Its government legalized gay marriage and also legalized prostitution.
- Singapore is a densely populated island off the coast of Malaysia. In contrast to Morocco, it is not mountainous. Singapore was once a British colony, so English is widespread there, although many people also natively speak Chinese there. One similarity is that around 15% of its citizens are Muslims.
- New Zealand is another archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, like Japan. It is quite far away from Morocco. It also gets far more rainfall. Its infrastructure is also very different from Morocco since New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left, and generates most of its electricity through hydropower. In addition, New Zealand is far more liberal. Still, both countries are mountainous.
- Bahamas is yet another former British colony on this list. It is densely populated group of islands in the Caribbean Sea. The country’s demographics and culture are also quite different from Morocco. While Bahamas has one of the highest divorce rates in the world, far fewer couples in Morocco get divorced. Bahamas is also less mountainous and gets much more rainfall than Morocco.
- Solomon Islands, 7. North Korea, 8. Papua New Guinea, 9. South Korea, 10. Iceland
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Morocco
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.