Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Honduras is a Latin American country. There are many countries in the region similar to it. The five most similar countries are mostly Catholic. In addition, most of their people natively speak Spanish. They all have tropical climates and, with the exception of El Salvador, they all border the Caribbean Sea. These countries use the presidential system of government and have similar laws. They are all members of the Central American Integration System.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Honduras
- Nicaragua and Honduras are two of the most similar countries in the world. Their laws, demographics, and culture are nearly identical. Even so, Nicaragua has far more freshwater, since Lake Nicaragua is the second largest lake in Latin America. Another difference is that Honduras has been heavily supported by the United States in the past, while Russia has given more support to Nicaragua.
- Guatemala‘s geography is extremely similar to Honduras. Both countries are among the most conservative Latin American countries since they do not allow gay marriage or abortion. However, Guatemala has less people with African ancestry and more people with indigenous ancestry. Many of its people still speak Mayan, unlike Honduras. Their geography is also extremely similar, except that Guatemala has more coast on the Pacific Ocean.
- El Salvador is to the south west of Honduras. Although both are mostly Catholic, they also have many Protestants. The two countries have a similar diet, since they eat a lot of corn and their preferred meat is chicken. Both also have an extremely high murder rate. Their laws are also similar. Abortion and same sex marriage are not allowed there. However, El Salvador is more densely populated and has a much higher percentage of agricultural land.
- Costa Rica is yet another Central American country on this list. However it has some significant differences with Honduras. Costa Rica is more developed and wealthier than Honduras. Its population is older and has far fewer farmers. Furthermore, Costa Rica is much safer. Still, both countries have unicameral legislatures and their representatives are chosen by multi-member districts.
- Dominican Republic also borders to Caribbean Sea, although it is not located in Central America. However, there are some significant differences. Dominican Republic has more people with African ancestry. It also has more interest in baseball than soccer. Furthermore, the diet of Dominicans has far less corn in it, but also more fruits, especially plantains. Still, the countries have a similar standard of living.
- Panama, 7. Colombia, 8. Ecuador, 9. Venezuela, 10. Mexico
The five least similar countries to Honduras are all located in Asia. Four of the five of them are located in the Middle East on the Arabian Peninsula. These countries are far more affluent than Honduras and have a higher standard of living. They are less democratic as well. Their landscapes are not only far less vegetated, but they are less mountainous as well.
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Honduras
- Bahrain is a small, flat, and densely populated island in the Persian Gulf. It is highly developed and quite wealthy. Much of its land is urban area, in contrast to heavily forested Honduras. They country is predominately Muslim and most of its people natively speak Arabic. Another difference is that abortion and polygamy are legal in Bahrain, while gambling is banned.
- Qatar is close to Bahrain. It is a peninsula in the Persian Gulf, connected to Saudi Arabia. It has one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world, due to oil revenue. In addition, its climate is much drier and its terrain is quite flat. The country also has a much higher percentage of men than Honduras due to many migrant construction workers living there.
- Singapore is the least similar country to Honduras, outside of the Arabian peninsula. Although both countries are located in tropical climates, there is little else these countries have in common. Their infrastructure is especially different. Not only is Singapore far more developed, but it also uses different standards. Unlike Honduras, it drives on the left, uses Type G electrical outlets, and also uses a different railroad gauge.
- Saudi Arabia is adjacent to Bahrain and Qatar. Its government is an absolute monarchy and the country does not even have a congress. Its laws are also far more conservative than in Honduras. Same sex relationships and alcohol are not allowed there. Like the other two countries its climate is also much drier.
- United Arab Emirates is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. It boasts the tallest skyscraper in the world, Burj Khalifa. Like Saudi Arabia, its government is an absolute monarchy, although it does have a congress and a limited amount of democracy. Like Qatar, there are far more men than women in the country, in stark contrast to Honduras, where there are more women than men.
- Kuwait, 7. South Korea, 8. Japan, 9. Israel, 10. Oman
Honduras is like if Nicaragua was more like Guatemala
According to the Index, Nicaragua is the most similar country to Honduras. Since these countries are extremely similar, few countries are far more like Honduras than Nicaragua. One country that has some characteristics that Nicaragua lacks is Guatemala. The homicide rate is much higher in Honduras and Guatemala than Nicaragua. They also have less freshwater lake area. Furthermore, they also have a higher population density.
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.