Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Top 10 Countries Most Similar to Mozambique
Mozambique is located in the Tropical Africa region. It is like many countries in the region. The five most similar countries to Mozambique all have tropical climates and their landscape consists mostly of savanna land. In addition, most of their people natively speak Niger-Congo languages and they all use the Latin alphabet. These countries also tend to have a lot of poverty and their infrastructure is not well developed.
- Angola is another former Portuguese colony in Southern Africa, so it also uses Portuguese as its lingua franca. Although Angola borders the Atlantic Ocean and Mozambique borders the Indian Ocean, the two countries have a similar climate as well. Both use a small percentage of their land to grow crops but most of their people are farmers and they primarily grow corn. Furthermore, the diets of both countries are heavy in cassava.
- Tanzania is just to the north of Mozambique, so its geography is extremely similar. Both countries have a tropical savanna climate and have similar flora and fauna. Both countries are mostly Christian but also a significant Muslim minority, although Tanzania has more Muslims. However, there are some notable differences in their laws. Tanzania allows polygamy and has greater restrictions on prostitution and abortion than Mozambique.
- Zambia, like Tanzania, is another former British colony that borders Mozambique. The countries have a similar standard of living. Both countries primarily grow corn and use hydropower to create electricity. In addition, Zambia and Mozambique have a significant number of Chewa people. However, Zambia has far more Protestants and fewer Muslims. It is also landlocked and less mountainous.
- Guinea-Bissau is located in West African, but it is another former Portuguese colony in Africa. Both countries have semi-presidential governments with unicameral legislatures that are elected by proportional representation. In addition, they tend to have few entitlements for their citizens. Healthcare and secondary schooling are not free. Furthermore they do not have retirement pensions or welfare for the unemployed. However, most people in Guinea-Bissau are Muslim. They also tend to grow more cashews and eat more rice than people from Mozambique.
- Malawi is located between Zambia and Mozambique. Both countries have a significant number of Chewa people. They also both primarily use hydropower to create electricity. In addition, they both use the 3’6″ railroad gauge and drive on the left side of the road. However, Malawi primarily uses Type G electrical outlets, unlike Mozambique. Both countries eat a lot of corn and cassava, but Malawians eat more potatoes.
- Zimbabwe, 7. Democratic Republic of Congo, 8. Uganda, 9. Guinea, 10. Togo
Top 10 Countries Least Similar to Mozambique
The least similar countries to Mozambique are all located in Asia. They all have a much higher standard of living as well. Three are located in East Asia, while the other two are Arab countries. With the exception of Saudi Arabia, they are all more densely populated than Mozambique. Four of the five least similar countries drive on the right side of the road.
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Mozambique. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, and politics. However, one similarity is that both countries drive on the left and use 3’6″ gauge railroad tracks, although Mozambique is much less developed.
- Bahrain is a densely populated desert island in the Persian Gulf, so its geography is extremely different from sparsely populated Mozambique. Very little of its land is used for agriculture and it grows different crops. Bahrain is also far more affluent and developed. It drives on the right and uses Type G electrical outlets, unlike Mozambique.
- South Korea is another East Asian country with little similarity to Mozambique. One thing that does make South Korea more like Mozambique than Japan is that it has a much larger Christian population. Furthermore, most males in Mozambique and South Korea are circumcised. However, South Korea drives on the right side of the road, unlike Mozambique and Japan.
- Saudi Arabia is a predominately Muslim country in Asia. Saudi Arabia’s landscape is quite barren and has little vegetation. The country Saudi Arabia creates most of its electricity using oil and natural gas, while Mozambique primarily uses hydropower. Its government is also an absolute monarchy and has more conservative laws than Mozambique, since alcohol, gambling, and abortion are not allowed there.
- Taiwan is yet another Asian country located in the Pacific Ocean on this list. Like Japan and South Korea, its demographics and culture are quite different from Mozambique. However, Taiwan’s subtropical climate is somewhat similar to Mozambique, although it has a wetter climate. It also primarily produces rice, not corn.
- Iceland, 7. United Arab Emirates, 8. Qatar, 9. Kuwait, 10. Canada
Mozambique is like if Angola was more like Malawi
Angola is by far the most similar country to Mozambique. However, there are a few traits of Mozambique that Angola lacks, but Malawi has. Both Malawi and Mozambique are in East Africa and both border Lake Malawi. They also both drive on the left side of the road, unlike Angola. Furthermore, Malawi and Mozambique are more democratic than Angola. Unlike Angola, they give few entitlements to their citizens. There are also more Muslims in Malawi and Mozambique than Angola.
All data accurate as of 2020.