Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to the Levant and Tunisia
Lebanon is similar to many countries in the Levant and North Africa. These countries generally speak Arabic with a majority of their population being Muslim. Most are located around the Mediterranean Sea. Lebanon is unique among these countries since it has a significant percentage of Christians as well.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Lebanon
- Jordan is located to the south of Lebanon. Both countries have a similar standard of living. The currency of both countries has a hard peg to the US Dollar. However, there are differences in their governments since Jordan is a constitutional monarchy and is less democratic than Lebanon. Although both countries are quite dry and mountainous, Jordan has very little coastline.
- Tunisia and Lebanon were both colonies of France, so a significant percentage of the people in both countries can speak French. In addition, they are two of the most liberal Arab countries. Although Tunisia is in Africa, they both are mountainous countries that border the Mediterranean. Their agriculture is extremely similar as well since they both mostly grow olives, but also wheat.
- Syria would probably be the most similar country to Lebanon, except for the fact that its on-going civil war has devastated the country’s infrastructure and standard of living. Like Lebanon and Tunisia, it was also a colony of France, although it has far fewer French speakers.
- Palestine is between Jordan and Israel. Lebanon was the original home of the Palestine Liberation Organization, before it moved to Tunisia in the 1980s. Both countries have fought against Israel. However, the standard of living in Palestine is lower than Lebanon, in part due to ongoing political unrest. Both countries primarily rely on oil to create electricity.
- Iraq and Lebanon both have a significant population of both Sunnis and Shi’ites. Iraq has more of a British influence, since it was one of its colonies. Although they are close in proximity their landscape is quite different since Iraq is not very mountainous and has little coastline.
- Morocco, 7. Libya, 8. Algeria, 9. Egypt 10. Kuwait
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Lebanon
- Papua New Guinea is one of the hottest and wettest countries in the world, in contrast to Lebanon’s Mediterranean climate. The countries have little demographic or religious similarity as well. While, both countries are quite mountainous, Lebanon is much more densely populated and developed.
- Japan is another country that is technically in Asia, but other than that there is little similarity. Japan is an archipelago with a wet and temperate climate in contrast to the dry subtropical climate of Lebanon. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology.
- New Zealand is another archipelago in the Pacific Ocean with a temperate climate that is far away from Lebanon. Their infrastructure also is very different as New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left. In addition, New Zealand is more liberal than Lebanon.
- Canada is much more sparsely populated country than Lebanon. It is also much wealthier and its infrastructure is better developed. In addition, it is one of the coldest countries in the world, with lots of lakes and freshwater, in contrast to Lebanon.
- Cambodia is at the other end of the spectrum from Canada since it is quite poor and its infrastructure is not well developed. Lebanon and Cambodia have very different cultures as well. Lebanese are much more outgoing than Cambodians. Furthermore, Cambodians are Buddhists.
- Australia, 7. Solomon Islands 8. Lesotho, 9. Liberia, 10. Norway
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.