Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other North African countries
Algeria is similar to many countries in North Africa and the Middle East. The top 4 countries are all in North Africa. These countries speak Arabic and a vast majority of their population is Muslim. They also have similar geography, since they are mostly sparsely populated hot deserts.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Algeria
- Tunisia was a French protectorate, like Algeria. Although both do not have French as an official language, a high percentage of their people can speak it. In addition, both countries are part of synchronous electrical grid of Continental Europe and also use mostly natural gas to create electricity.
- Morocco, like Algeria, has a large population of Berbers. It was also a French protectorate, albeit for a shorter time. Furthermore, its main agricultural products, consisting of wheat, barley, and olives, are essentially the same as Algeria. However, Morocco is a constitutional monarchy.
- Egypt is another Arab country in North Africa that is largely desert. The countries have the same semi-presidential system of government and also similar Muslim laws. In addition, the countries have a similar level of development. However, Egypt has more of a British influence than Algeria.
- Libya is Algeria’s neighbor to its east, so it shares similar geography and infrastructure. Both countries have large reserves of natural gas. However, Libya is much more lawless since there is an ongoing civil war there.
- Jordan is much less similar to Algeria than its North African counterparts, however it is another Arab country with a similar demographics and affluence. Like Egypt, it has more of a British influence than French.
- Iraq, 7. Syria, 8. Mauritania, 9. Djibouti 10. Saudi Arabia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Algeria
- Japan is a temperate and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean with little similarity to Algeria. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology.
- New Zealand is another wet and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean far away from Algeria. Their infrastructure also is very different as New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left, and generates most of its electricity through hydropower. In addition, New Zealand is more liberal than Algeria.
- Singapore is a densely populated tropical Asian country, in contrast to Algeria, which is a sparsely populated desert. Singapore is also a much wealthier country and its infrastructure is more developed.
- Iceland is yet another island country on this list. Iceland uses a lot of energy, created by renewable resources, while Algeria uses little electricity and has mostly gas power plants. Furthermore, Iceland is mostly Christian and irreligious, in contrast to Algeria, which is mostly Muslim. Iceland’s government is also far more liberal as a result.
- Taiwan is a densely populated tropical island, unlike Algeria’s desert landscape. In addition, Taiwan’s demographics are vastly different since their population is much older and its birth rate is quite low.
- Switzerland, 7. United States, 8. Bahamas, 9. South Korea, 10. Denmark
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.