Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Top 10 Countries Most Similar to Ivory Coast
Ivory Coast is a Sub-Saharan African country. Many countries in the region are similar to it. The top five countries most similar to Ivory Coast all were colonized by France and use French as their official language. Furthermore, most people in these countries natively speak Niger-Congo languages. In addition, a large portion of the land in these countries has a tropical savanna climate. The top four countries all border the Atlantic Ocean.
- Guinea is to the west of Ivory Coast. These countries have a similar standard of living and development of infrastructure. Most of their tanks and guns are Russian-made. They are also democracies that use the semi-presidential system of government. One big difference is that there are fewer Christians in Guinea. Another difference is that unlike some other countries on this list it does not use the West African Franc, despite being in ECOWAS.
- Togo also has a mix of Christians and Muslims, although far more people believe in Voodoo there. They have a similar standard of living and also use the same currency. Furthermore, the countries have nearly identical climate. One big difference is that Togo has less restrictions on abortion and more restrictions on prostiution. Both countries tend to eat a lot of cassavas and yams.
- Benin is yet another country that borders the Gulf of Guinea. It also has a diverse mix of Muslims, Catholics, and Protestants, although it has more followers of Christianity and Voodoo. Ivory Coast grows more cocoa than Benin, but both produce many cashews. Their infrastructure is similar as well since they both use 1 meter wide railroad tracks, Type C, E electrical outlets, and use the same electrical grid, the West African Power Pool.
- Cameroon is another former French colony on the Gulf of Guinea, but it was not part of French West Africa. The countries have similar diets, since they tend to eat a lot of cassavas and consume little meat or dairy products. However, Cameroon has fewer Muslims than the Ivory Coast and it gets more rainfall as well. It is also less democratic.
- Burkina Faso is a landlocked and drier country to the north of Ivory Coast. Both countries have a significant portion of its population that natively speak Dyula. They also have a diverse mix of Muslims, Catholics, and Protestants. In addition, both of their people tend to drink a lot of liqueur. However, their diets are quite different, since far more corn and sorghum is eaten in Burkina Faso.
- Nigeria, 7. Ghana, 8. Senegal, 9. Gabon, 10. Republic of Congo
14 Interesting Tours in Ivory Coast
Top 10 Countries Least Similar to Ivory Coast
The five least similar countries all have much colder climates than the Ivory Coast. Four of the five countries border the Pacific Ocean. Two are located in East Asia, while the majority of the people in the other three natively speak Germanic languages. Their standard of living is higher and their infrastructure is much more developed. These countries also tend to be far less religious than Ivory Coast.
- Japan is by far the least similar country to the Ivory Coast. It is a mountainous and heavily populated archipelago with many skyscrapers. Its demographics, culture, and technology are also quite different from the Ivory Coast. There isn’t much in common between the two, except that their people are thinner and shorter than average.
- Iceland is the least similar country in Europe to the Ivory Coast, despite both countries bordering the Atlantic Ocean. It is far more mountainous and its landscape is sparsely vegetated, due in part to its cold climate. It is also much less densely populated. The country is also far less religious than Ivory Coast.
- New Zealand is a mountainous island with a temperate climate in the South Pacific. This highly contrasts Ivory Coast’s relatively flat and tropical savanna landscape. It also has not only better infrastructure, but its technology standards are also different, since they drive on the left and use the Type I electrical outlet. Like Japan, it is also much wealthier than the Ivory Coast. Furthermore, New Zealand’s government is far more liberal.
- South Korea is another country that borders the Pacific Ocean on this list. Ivory Coast and South Korea have little in common demographically or culturally. However, they do share some similarity in technology. They both use Type C electrical outlets and drive on the right. However, like other countries on this list, Ivory Coast’s infrastructure is less well developed.
- Canada is also far different from the Ivory Coast, despite both countries having French as one of their official languages. It is one of the coldest countries, in contrast to Ivory Coast’s hot tropical savanna climate. It is also far less densely populated. In addition, its politics are extremely different. While Canada uses a parliamentary form of government with a constitutional monarch, Ivory Coast has a semi-presidential form of government.
- United States, 7. Australia, 8. Taiwan, 9. Norway, 10. United Kingdom
The Top 15 Attractions in Japan
Ivory Coast is like if Guinea was more like Ghana
According to the Index, Guinea is the most similar country to the Ivory Coast. However one country that has a few more traits in common with Ivory Coast than it does with Guinea is Ghana. The biggest reason for this is geography. Ghana and Ivory Coast have drier climates than Guinea. A major crop in both countries is cocoa. They also have a larger population of Christians than Guinea. In addition, a significant portion of the population in both countries is part of the Akan ethnic group.
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Ivory Coast
All data accurate as of 2020.
Most Similar Demographics: Burkina Faso
Most Similar Culture: Burkina Faso
Most Similar Government: Guinea
Most Similar Infrastructure: Guinea
Most Similar Geography: Ghana
Least Similar Demographics: Japan
Least Similar Culture: Japan
Least Similar Government: United States
Least Similar Infrastructure: Japan
Least Similar Geography: Iceland