Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Arab countries
Iraq is similar to many countries in the Middle East and North Africa. These countries generally speak Arabic with a majority of their population being Muslim. These countries also have a similar climate, since they are mostly sparsely populated deserts.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Iraq
- Syria is the next largest country in the Fertile Crescent. Both have had unstable situations recently due to war. ISIS, an acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, now controls significant territory in both countries.
- Egypt is similar to Iraq since it is another country that is mostly desert, where most inhabitants live near a major river. Its flag is also extremely similar to Syria and Egypt as well, since they were all derived from the Arab liberation flag. However, there is a majority of Shia Muslims as well as a 15% proportion of Kurds in Iraq.
- Jordan was actually part of Iraq in 1958, when the two countries formed the Arab Federation, however it only lasted 6 months. In addition, both were colonized by Great Britain. This part of the reason why they both use Type D and G electrical outlets.
- Algeria is another Arab country that is largely desert. Both countries legal systems are mostly based in Civil law, but also Muslim law. However, Algeria is in Africa and has more of a French influence.
- Libya is to the east of Algeria. Like Iraq, it is another Arab country that has been unstable due to war. Both countries have huge oil reserves.
- Saudi Arabia, 7. Yemen, 8. Iran, 9. Tunisia 10. Morocco
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Iraq
- Japan is also technically in Asia, but other than that there is little similarity. Japan is a mountainous archipelago with a temperate climate in contrast to the hot, dry and nearly landlocked Iraq. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology.
- New Zealand is another wet and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean far away from Iraq. Their infrastructure also is very different as New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left. In addition, New Zealand is far more liberal than conservative Iraq.
- Taiwan is the third straight Pacific Ocean country on this list. It has extremely different demographics and culture compared to Iraq. However, unlike Japan and New Zealand, it drives on the right. It is also poorer than those two countries.
- Canada is much more sparsely populated country than Iraq. It is also much wealthier and its infrastructure is more developed. In addition, it is one of the coldest countries in the world, with lots of lakes and freshwater, in contrast to Iraq.
- South Korea is the third East Asian country on this list. It is much more densely populated than Iraq. However, one aspect that both Iraq and South Korea share is that both have almost all their males circumcised.
- Switzerland, 7. Singapore 8. United States, 9. Iceland, 10. Norway
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.