Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Arab countries
Syria is similar to many countries in the Middle East and North Africa. These countries generally speak Arabic with a majority of their population being Muslim. These countries also have a similar climate, since they are mostly sparsely populated deserts. Because of the ongoing civil war, it is most similar to other politically unstable Arab countries.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Syria
- Egypt and Syria were united for three years between 1958 and 1961, as part of the United Arab Republic. They are both about 90% Muslim and 10% Christian. Their flags are also similar as well, since they were derived from the Arab liberation flag. Politically, both countries have authoritarian rulers and conservative laws. They also use the semi-presidential system of government.
- Iraq is the largest country in the Fertile Crescent. Both have had unstable political situations recently due to war. ISIS, an acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, recently controlled significant territory in both countries. However, there is a majority of Shia Muslims as well as a 15% proportion of Kurds in Iraq.
- Jordan is historically part of Greater Syria. After the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, the area was partitioned. While Syria was colonized by France, Jordan was colonized by Britain. Still, the countries have deep historical ties.
- Libya is to the west of Egypt. Like Syria, it is another Arab country that has been unstable due to civil war. In the 1980’s there were plans to unite the two countries into one nation, but they fell through.
- Palestine is another country in the Fertile Crescent that is similar to Syria. The demographics and culture of both countries is especially alike. After the Arab-Israeli War, many Palestinians moved north to Syria.
- Tunisia, 7. Algeria, 8. Morocco, 9. Lebanon, 10. Iran
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Syria
- Japan is also technically in Asia, but other than that there is little similarity. Japan is a mountainous archipelago with a temperate climate in contrast to the hot, dry Syria. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology.
- New Zealand is another wet and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean far away from Syria. Their infrastructure also is very different as New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left. In addition, New Zealand is far more liberal than Syria.
- Bahamas has a completely different geography from Syria, since it is a low-lying group of islands in the Western Hemisphere. In addition, it shares almost no cultural or demographic similarity. Furthermore, it drives on the left and uses Type A, B electrical outlets with a different voltage than Syria.
- Canada is much more sparsely populated country than Syria. It is also much wealthier and its infrastructure is more developed. In addition, it is one of the coldest countries in the world, with lots of lakes and freshwater. It is also one of the most democratic countries, in contrast to Syria.
- Singapore is a densely populated tropical country, in contrast to Syria, which is mostly desert. Its people are of mostly East Asian descent. Singapore is also a much wealthier country and its infrastructure is more developed than Syria.
- United States, 7. Iceland, 8. Australia, 9. Switzerland, 10. Taiwan
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.