Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other North African countries
Tunisia is similar to many countries in North Africa and the Middle East. The top 4 countries are all in North Africa. These countries speak Arabic and a vast majority of their population is Muslim. They also have similar geography, since they are mostly sparsely populated hot deserts.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Tunisia
- Algeria was a French protectorate, like Tunisia. Although both do not have French as an official language, a high percentage of their people can speak it. In addition, both countries are part of synchronous electrical grid of Continental Europe and also use mostly natural gas to create electricity.
- Morocco was also a French protectorate, albeit for a shorter time. The two countries share the same public religious holidays. They also both use Type C, E electrical outlets. However, Morocco is a constitutional monarchy. In addition, it has a much higher percentage of Berbers.
- Egypt is another Arab country in North Africa with a similar standard of living. The countries have the same semi-presidential system of government, although it is much less democratic. Egypt has more of a British influence than Tunisia as well.
- Libya is Tunisia’s neighbor to its east, so it shares similar geography and infrastructure. Its main agricultural products, consisting of wheat, barley, and olives, are essentially the same as Tunisia , although Tunisia has a much higher percentage of agricultural land. One big difference is that Libya is much more lawless since there is an ongoing civil war there.
- Syria is yet another Arab country that was a French colony on this list. It would probably be more similar country to Tunisia, except for the fact that its on-going civil war has devastated the country’s infrastructure and standard of living.
- Jordan, 7. Lebanon, 8. Iraq, 9. Turkey, 10. Mauritania
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Tunisia
- Japan is a temperate and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean with little similarity to Tunisia. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology.
- New Zealand is another wet and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean far away from Algeria. Their infrastructure also is very different as New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left, and generates most of its electricity through hydropower. In addition, New Zealand is more liberal than Algeria.
- Papua New Guinea is one of the wettest countries in the world, in contrast to Tunisia’s drier climate. Furthermore, its people are Christian and have little genetic similarity to Tunisians. Like New Zealand, they drive on the left and use Type I electrical outlets.
- Singapore is a densely populated tropical Asian country, in contrast to Tunsia, which is sparsely populated and has a dry climate. Singapore is also a much wealthier country and its infrastructure is more developed. However, around 15% of its citizens are Muslims.
- Solomon Islands is another country similar to Papua New Guinea in the Pacific Ocean. Unlike Tunisia, which has a developed military with an active draft, Solomon Islands doesn’t even have a military. The islands also need to import all their energy in the form of oil, while Tunisia uses mostly natural gas.
- Canada, 7. Bhutan, 8. Samoa, 9. Cambodia, 10. Bahamas
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Tunisia
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.