Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other North African countries
Tunisia is similar to many countries in North Africa and the Middle East. The top 4 countries are all in North Africa. These countries speak Arabic and a vast majority of their population is Muslim. They also have similar geography, since they are mostly sparsely populated hot deserts.
The least similar countries all border the Pacific Ocean. Since Tunisia is neither extremely wealthy or poor, the five least similar countries either have a much higher standard of living or a much lower standard of living. In addition, these countries all get much more rainfall than Tunisia.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Tunisia
- Algeria was a French protectorate, like Tunisia. Although both do not have French as an official language, a high percentage of their people can speak it. In addition, both countries are part of synchronous electrical grid of Continental Europe and also use mostly natural gas to create electricity. One difference is that it has a higher percentage of Berbers. It also has a higher percentage of barren land.
- Morocco was also a French protectorate, albeit for a shorter time. The two countries share the same public religious holidays. They also both use Type C, E electrical outlets. However, Morocco is a constitutional monarchy. Like Algeria, it also has a much higher percentage of Berbers than Tunisia.
- Egypt is another Arab country in North Africa with a similar standard of living. The countries have the same semi-presidential system of government, although it is much less democratic. Egypt has more of a British influence than Tunisia as well.
- Libya is Tunisia’s neighbor to its east, so it shares similar geography and infrastructure. Its main agricultural products, consisting of wheat, barley, and olives, are essentially the same as Tunisia , although Tunisia has a much higher percentage of agricultural land. One big difference is that Libya is much more lawless since there is an ongoing civil war there.
- Jordan is the only country outside of Africa in the top five. Although both countries primarily speak Arabic, the dialect in Jordan is quite different. Still, Jordan and Tunisia have a similar standard of living and both are mostly Sunni Muslim. The countries also have a similar climate, although Jordan does not border the Mediterranean and has little coastline.
- Syria, 7. Lebanon, 8. Iraq, 9. Mauritania, 10. Saudi Arabia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Tunisia
- Japan is a temperate and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean with little similarity to Tunisia. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology. It has a completely different writing system and language.
- Papua New Guinea is one of the wettest countries in the world, in contrast to Tunisia’s drier climate. Furthermore, its people are Christian. Their Melanesian ancestry has little genetic similarity to Tunisians. Not only is their infrastructure significantly less developed, but they drive on the left and use Type I electrical outlets.
- Solomon Islands is another country similar to Papua New Guinea in the Pacific Ocean. Unlike Tunisia, which has a developed military with an active draft, Solomon Islands doesn’t even have a military. The islands also need to import all their energy in the form of oil, while Tunisia uses mostly natural gas.
- Cambodia was also colonized by France at one time, but other than that they have little in common. Its people are mostly Buddhist and the use the Khmer script. Cambodia is quite flat and also has a higher percentage of farmland than Tunisia. Its government is also less democratic.
- Singapore is a densely populated tropical Asian country, in contrast to Tunsia, which is sparsely populated and has a dry climate. Singapore is also a much wealthier country and its infrastructure is more developed. However, around 15% of its citizens are Muslims.
- Laos, 7. North Korea, 8. Taiwan, 9. New Zealand, 10. Bhutan
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Tunisia
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.