Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Central American countries, especially Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua
There are many countries with a high degree of similarity with El Salvador. Latin American countries are especially similar to Guatemala since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages, and have similar governments. People in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua can move freely between their countries since there are no checkpoints at their shared borders.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to El Salvador
- Honduras is to the northeast of El Salvador. Although both are mostly Catholic, they also have many Protestants. The two countries have a similar diet, since they eat a lot of corn and their preferred meat is chicken. Both are quite mountainous and have a similar climate. One difference is that El Salvador is more densely populated and has a much higher percentage of agricultural land.
- Guatemala borders both Honduras and El Salvador. Both countries are among the most conservative Latin American countries since they do not allow gay marriage or abortion. Both their railroads uniquely use 3-foot gauge tracks. However, Guatemala has far more Mayan people.
- Nicaragua is also quite similar to El Salvador, even though they do not border each other. Although their geographies are still quite similar, Nicaragua has far more freshwater, since Lake Nicaragua is the second largest lake in Latin America, after Lake Titicaca. Their agriculture is incredibly similar as both countries grow a lot of corn, coffee, and beans, but Nicaragua has a lower percentage of agricultural land.
- Panama also has similar culture and demographics to El Salvador. Both countries were greatly influenced by the United States. They both use Type A, B electrical outlets and typically use US-made weapons. In addition, the US dollar is actually legal tender in both countries, unlike other Central American countries. However, Panama is more prosperous and its infrastructure is better developed.
- Costa Rica is yet another Central American country in the top 5. However it has some significant differences with El Salvador. Costa Rica is more developed and wealthier than. Its population is older and has far fewer farmers. Furthermore, Costa Rica is much safer.
- Dominican Republic, 7. Ecuador, 8. Mexico, 9. Colombia, 10. Peru
Top 10 Places Least Similar to El Salvador
- Japan has little demographic, technological, or cultural similarity to El Salvador. Their transportation infrastructure is especially different, since Japan drives on the left and has far more vehicles. In addition, El Salvador does not have passenger rail service and uses a different railroad gauge than Japan. The biggest similarity is that both countries are located on Ring of Fire, so they have many active volcanos and earthquakes. They also both use Type A, B electrical outlets.
- Qatar is a small Arabian country. It is a peninsula in the Persian Gulf, connected to Saudi Arabia. It has one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world in contrast to El Salvador. In addition, its climate is much drier and its terrain is quite flat.
- Bahrain is located next to Qatar. It is a small densely populated island in the Persian Gulf. Bahrain is highly developed, in contrast to El Salvador. It also has little agricultural land.
- Kuwait is yet another country on this list that borders the Persian Gulf. It is located between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. It is a wealthy and highly developed Muslim country.
- United Arab Emirates is similar to Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait. It is home to the tallest building in the world, Burj Dubai, and has many skyscrapers. In contrast, El Salvador has few skyscrapers, despite being relatively densely populated.
- Singapore, 7. Finland, 8. Oman 9. Saudi Arabia, 10. Bhutan
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to El Salvador
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.