Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin American countries
There are many countries with a high degree of similarity with Mexico. Latin American countries are especially similar to Mexico since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages, and have similar governments. The case could be made for a number of different countries being most similar to Mexico, as the top ones have similar scores.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Mexico
- Colombia is the only South American country to border both the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. It shares similar culture and demographics with Mexico. Both countries have a presidential system of government with civil law legal systems. Colombia’s electrical system is also very similar to Mexico since it uses Type A, B and uses a similar voltage. In addition, Colombia and Mexico have the most prominent drug trafficking cartels in history.
- Costa Rica was originally part of the Mexican Empire but later became independent. Like Colombia, it too has similar demographics and culture with Mexico. In addition, Mexico and Costa Rica have similar GDP per capita. However, Costa Rica is a safer and more peaceful country. It is one of the few countries that does not have a standing army.
- Ecuador is yet another Spanish speaking country, similar to Mexico. It has particularly similar demographics, with a high percentage of Mestizos, however it has a larger percentage of Africans. Although, Ecuador is more tropical, both countries are quite mountainous and have about the same percentage of agricultural land.
- Guatemala borders Mexico to the south. Its geography and culture are especially similar. Both countries have a diet that generally consists of mostly chicken, eggs, and corn-based food. However, Guatemala’s demographics differs from Mexico, since its population has a much higher percentage of Native Americans. In fact a significant percentage do not speak Spanish at home. In addition, Guatemala is less wealthy than Mexico and has less developed infrastructure. Furthermore, Guatemala has one of the least successful soccer teams in Latin America.
- El Salvador is further south from Mexico and Guatemala. Although its culture and demographics are generally similar to Mexico, like Guatemala, it is less wealthy and has less developed infrastructure. Furthermore, its government is more religious. While abortion is completely legal in Mexico, El Salvador is one of the few countries that has banned abortion without any exceptions.
- Venezuela, 7. Panama, 8. Honduras, 9. Dominican Republic, 10. Peru
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Mexico
- Somalia is by far the least similar country to Mexico. Its governmental policies influenced by its Muslim population are extremely conservative, compared to more liberal Mexico. In addition, its diet is quite different since Somalians drink very little alcohol and eat little meat. The biggest similarity between the two countries is that they have dry climates.
- Bangladesh is yet another Muslim country on this list that is very conservative, unlike Mexico. In addition, Bangladesh is located in a low-lying wet river delta landscape and is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. In comparison, Mexico is dry, mountainous, and sparsely populated.
- Sudan is a Muslim country in the Sahara Desert, with very little infrastructure. It recently lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan. Its conservative governmental policies are quite unlike Mexico’s.
- Bhutan, at the opposite end of the spectrum, has the highest average elevation in the world and is landlocked. The country has especially unique traditions since its people are mostly Buddhist.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is a Muslim country with little demographic, cultural, or technological similarity to Mexico.
- Kuwait, 7. Eritrea, 8. Niger 9. Qatar, 10. Nepal
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Mexico
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.