Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other predominately Muslim countries that were colonized by France
The top five countries most similar to Niger all were colonized by France. In addition, they all have Islam as their most common religion. However, these countries have secular governments, unlike many Arab countries. Furthermore, they all have hot desert climates. These countries also have a particularly low standard of living.
The least similar countries are East Asian countries and former British colonies. The top five countries all have a high standard of living and well developed infrastructure. While the Niger people have the lowest average age in the world and the highest birthrate, the five least similar countries all have aging populations with many elderly people.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Niger
- Mali is another landlocked Muslim country in Africa that is mostly desert. The countries also have similar flora and fauna. Both countries were once part of the Songhai Empire. They have very few educated people, although college is provided for free there. In fact, Niger and Mali are the two least literate countries in the world. They also have little medical infrastructure or military equipment.
- Chad‘s geography is similar to Niger and Mali. It is located to the east of Niger. The majority of native people of both countries speak Afroasiatic languages, although they are on different branches of the family. Water is scarce in both countries and they get a lot of their water from underground aquifers. Interestingly enough, Niger and Chad both receive weapons from Ukraine. One big difference is that nearly 40% of people in Chad are Christian. Another difference is that it does not use the West African CFA franc, but it does use the extremely similar East African CFA franc, since it was not part of French West Africa.
- Burkina Faso is located to the west of Niger. Both countries grow millet and sorghum, although Burkina Faso has a much higher percentage of agricultural land. Furthermore, the most common meat they eat is beef. However, only 60% of Burkina Faso’s citizens are Muslim.
- Senegal and Niger are over 95% Muslim, so both countries drink very little alcohol. In addition, while both countries circumcise their males, they do not most of their females are not circumcised, unlike other countries in the region. However, Senegal is not landlocked and the southern portion also gets a lot more rainfall.
- Mauritania is the only country in the top five that does not have French as an official language, despite it being a former French colony. In addition, the people of Mauritanian have more Caucasian ancestry, and less Sub-Saharan African ancestry. Still, both countries are mostly barren desert and nearly 100 percent Muslim.
- Guinea, 7. Djibouti, 8. Benin, 9. Sudan, 10. Somalia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Niger
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Niger. Its geography is especially different, since it is a mountainous archipelago with a temperate climate and a lot of rainfall. Its demographics, culture, and technology are also quite different. There isn’t much in common between the two, except that the average height and weight of their people are similar.
- South Korea is another East Asian country with little in common with Niger, however it does have a few more things in common than Japan. Similar to Niger, most South Koreans are circumcised. South Korea also drives on the right side of the road and uses Type C electrical outlets. However, their infrastructure is much more developed than Niger.
- Taiwan‘s climate is hotter than Japan and South Korea, but its climate is still much wetter than Niger. The diet of Taiwanese people is especially different from Niger, since they eat more fruits, meat, and rice. The mountainous island has little in common with Niger, other than being located at a similar latitude.
- New Zealand is another mountainous, archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, in contrast to Niger’s relatively flat and landlocked desert landscape. Like Japan and South Korea, it is much wealthier and more developed.
- Canada is another former British colony on this list. Its government is the least similar to Niger’s. Canada is far more liberal and democratic. It is also one of the coldest countries in the world, while Niger is one of the hottest. It also has many freshwater lakes, while Niger has little freshwater. However, both countries do have French as one of their official languages.
- United Kingdom, 7. Singapore, 8. United States, 9. Norway, 10. Netherlands
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Niger
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.