Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin American countries
Latin American countries are especially similar to Costa Rica. They are generally Catholic and speak Romance languages. They also have similar governments that use the presidential system.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Costa Rica
- Panama, like its neighbor Costa Rica, is one of the few countries without a military and both are strong allies of the United States. They are also two of the most prosperous Central American countries. Both countries primarily use hydroelectricity to create power. One big difference is that Panama has many more skyscrapers.
- Honduras is another mountainous Central American that borders both the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. The countries have especially similar ancestry, since both have many people of mixed Native American and European heritage, but also have a significant percentage of Africans. They are both part of the Central American Integration System. However, Honduras is poorer than Costa Rica.
- Colombia‘s agriculture is more similar to Costa Rica than any other country. Both produce a lot of coffee and sugar. Both countries have a high percentage of forest covered land. One big difference is that Colombia has one of the largest armies in the Western Hemisphere.
- El Salvador is another country in the Central American Integration System, like Costa Rica and Honduras. The countries share similar demographics and culture. However, El Salvador is more densely populated but also has a much greater percentage of land used for farming.
- Ecuador is especially similar to Costa Rica in regards to technology. Both have 3′ 6″ gauge railroad track, but their railroads are not heavily used. They also have Type A, B electrical outlets, due to American influence.
- Nicaragua 7. Dominican Republic, 8. Mexico , 9. Guatemala, 10. Venezuela
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Costa Rica
- Somalia is the least similar country to Costa Rica. Its governmental policies, influenced by its Muslim population, are extremely conservative, compared to more liberal Costa Rica. In addition, the countries are on opposite ends of the precipitation scale, as Costa Rica is a rainforest, while Somalia is quite dry.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is another impoverished Muslim country with little demographic, cultural, or technological similarity to Costa Rica.
- Sudan is in the Sahara Desert. It is yet another conservative Muslim country on this list. In addition, its government is lead by the military, following a recent coup. In contrast, Costa Rica does not even have a military.
- Eritrea is next to Sudan. It is the only country on this list with a majority Christian population. However, they are mostly Oriental Orthodox. Its government has been a dictatorship for almost 20 years, while Costa Rica is very democratic.
- Mauritania is another country in Sahara Desert that has little development of its infrastructure. The country is fairly flat, in contrast to the mountainous landscape of Costa Rica. Unlike other countries on this list it borders the Atlantic Ocean.
- Afghanistan, 7. Pakistan, 8. North Korea 9. Bahrain, 10. Chad
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Costa Rica
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.