Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other tropical and mountainous Spanish-speaking countries
There are many countries with a high degree of similarity with Honduras. Latin American countries are especially similar to Guatemala since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages, and have similar governments. People in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua can even move freely between their countries since there are no checkpoints at their shared borders.
Four of the five least similar countries are located in the Middle East on the Arabian Peninsula. These countries are far more affluent than Honduras and have a higher standard of living. Their laws are generally more conservative and their governments are monarchies.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Honduras
- Nicaragua and Honduras are two of the most similar countries in the world. Their laws, demographics, and culture are nearly identical. Nicaragua has far more freshwater, since Lake Nicaragua is the second largest lake in Latin America. Another difference is that Honduras has been heavily supported by the United States in the past, while Russia has given more support to Nicaragua.
- Guatemala‘s geography is extremely similar to Honduras. Both countries are among the most conservative Latin American countries since they do not allow gay marriage or abortion. However, Guatemala has less people with African ancestry and more people with indigenous ancestry. Many of its people still speak Mayan, unlike Honduras.
- El Salvador is to the south west of Honduras. Although both are mostly Catholic, they also have many Protestants. The two countries have a similar diet, since they eat a lot of corn and their preferred meat is chicken. Both also have an extremely high murder rate. However, El Salvador is more densely populated and has a much higher percentage of agricultural land.
- Costa Rica is yet another Central American country in the top 5. However it has some significant differences with Honduras. Costa Rica is more developed and wealthier than. Its population is older and has far fewer farmers. Furthermore, Costa Rica is much safer.
- Dominican Republic also borders to Caribbean Sea, although it is not located in Central America. However, there are some significant differences. Dominican Republic has more people with African ancestry. It also has more interest in baseball than soccer. Furthermore, the diet of Dominicans has far less corn in it, but also more fruits, especially plantains. Still, the countries have a similar standard of living.
- Ecuador, 7. Panama, 8. Colombia, 9. Mexico, 10. Venezuela
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Honduras
- Bahrain is a small, densely populated island in the Persian Gulf. is located next to Qatar. It is highly developed and quite wealthy. Much of its land is urban area, in contrast to heavily forested Honduras. In addition, it is not a democracy and has a completely different culture.
- Qatar is close to Bahrain. It is a peninsula in the Persian Gulf, connected to Saudi Arabia. It has one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world, due to oil revenue. In addition, its climate is much drier and its terrain is quite flat. The country also has a much higher percentage of men than Honduras due to many migrant construction workers living there.
- Saudi Arabia is adjacent to Bahrain and Qatar. Its government is an absolute monarchy and the country does not even have a congress. Its laws are also far more conservative than in Honduras. Same sex relationships and alcohol are not allowed there. Like the other two countries its climate is also much drier.
- South Korea is the least similar East Asian country. Its climate is cooler, since it is at a higher latitude. South Korea has the highest percentage of college graduates in the world as well, in contrast to Honduras, where many people are farmers. The country’s infrastructure is also quite different. It uses Type C, F electrical outlets and its railroad system is much more dense.
- Kuwait is yet another country on this list that borders the Persian Gulf, located between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. Like Bahrain and Qatar, it is a wealthy and highly developed Muslim country. In contrast to Honduras, its terrain is quite flat and barren.
- Singapore, 7. Japan, 8. United Arab Emirates, 9. Israel, 10. Oman
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Honduras
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.