Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other Latin American countries
Latin American countries are especially similar to Venezuela. They are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages, and have similar governments. Colombia and Ecuador are especially similar to Venezuela. They were all part of the same country at one time.
The four least similar countries are located in Asia, but they are not all located in the same region. Since Venezuela is neither especially rich or poor, countries with higher and lower standards of living both appear in their list of least similar countries. Three of the five least similar are predominately Muslim.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Venezuela
- Colombia is easily the most similar country to Venezuela. The biggest difference is politics. Venezuela is less democratic and isn’t an ally of the United States. Colombia and Venezuela’s demographics and culture are extremely similar. They both are mostly rainforests and border the Caribbean Sea.
- Ecuador is another country that was part of Colombia, before it gained its independence. The countries have similar culture and demographics, although there are more indigenous people in Ecuador. Its geography is also slightly different, since it does not border the Caribbean and is also much more mountainous.
- Nicaragua and Venezuela are similar politically. They are both countries that are lead by socialist governments. In addition, both have fairly conservative laws, since they do not allow either abortion or gay marriage. However, Nicaragua is less wealthy.
- Mexico is another country on this list that borders the Caribbean Sea. Mexico and Venezuela have a similar standard of living. They have about the same GDP per capita. In addition, they have similar technology since they both use Type A, B electrical outlets and standard gauge railroad tracks.
- Dominican Republic and Venezuela are in the same time zone, although the Dominican Republic is at a higher latitude. Still the climates of these countries are similar. They have about the same percentage of forest cover and agricultural land. In addition, both countries enjoy playing baseball. However, Dominican Republic has a slightly lower standard of living.
- Costa Rica 7. Panama, 8. Honduras, 9. El Salvador, 10. Peru
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Venezuela
- Japan is a densely populated, highly developed island country. Japan’s culture and demography are quite dissimilar from Venezuela as well. Few Japanese are Christian and they are less religious. However, both do use Type A,B electrical outlets and also have a lot of rainfall. Both countries enjoy playing soccer and baseball as well.
- Bahrain is a densely populated desert island. The country is one of the wealthiest in the world. It is mostly Muslim. Due to a vast amount of migrant construction workers in the country, it has far more men than women. Its government is a relatively stable monarchy that has more conservative laws.
- Bhutan has the highest average elevation in the world and is landlocked, unlike Venezuela. The country has especially unique traditions since its people are mostly Buddhist. In addition, its government is a constitutional monarchy.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert, like Bahrain, but it is far less affluent, due to civil war. However, the anarchic nature of its government is not dissimilar to Venezuela. Still, their laws are far different. Yemen has less restrictions on guns and it does not allow alcohol. It has a desert climate and most of its land is barren.
- Somalia and Venezuela are at similar latitudes, however Somalia has a much drier climate. Both Somalia and Venezuela have unstable governments, however Somalia far fewer entitlements. While college is free in Venezuela, in Somalia, even primary school is not free. Somalia also has few welfare programs for its citizens. Still, despite their native languages being unrelated, Somalia uses the Latin alphabet.
- Qatar, 7. Nepal, 8. Kuwait, 9. Niger, 10. South Korea
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.