Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other English-speaking African countries with tropical climates
With the exception of Benin, 4 of the top 5 countries most similar to Ghana are African countries which have English as one of their official languages and use it as their lingua franca. In addition, all of the countries in the top 5 have tropical climates.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Ghana
- Nigeria is another former British colony on the Gulf of Guinea. Both speak English, have similar electric outlets, and use common law. There has also been some immigration between the two countries after their independence. Nigeria has more Muslims however.
- Sierra Leone was a British colony, despite its Italian sounding name. It was founded to resettle freed African slaves. However, it has a higher Muslim population than both Ghana and Nigeria and it is also less developed.
- Liberia is another English-speaking African country similar to Nigeria. Like Sierra Leone, it was settled by freed slaves. It is mostly Protestant, but it also does have a significant percentage of Muslims, like Ghana.
- Benin is the only French-speaking country on this list. Like Ghana, it is mostly Christians, but it has more Catholics. The countries also have significantly similar geography since they are both located on the Gulf of Guinea.
- Tanzania was originally a German colony, until World War I, when it became a British colony. Like some other countries on this list, it has more Muslims than Ghana. However it is located on the Indian Ocean, instead of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Zambia, 7. Ivory Coast, 8. Cameroon, 9. Uganda, 10. Kenya
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Ghana
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Ghana. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, and technology. There isn’t much in common between the two, except that they are both democracies.
- Taiwan is another East Asian country on this list. Like Japan, its demographics, culture are quite different from Ghana. Its infrastructure is much more developed as well. However, both countries do have tropical climates.
- Switzerland‘s extremely mountainous and alpine forest geography, contrasts Ghana’s relatively flat plains of tropical savanna land. Although most people in both countries are Christian, Switzerland has a higher percentage of Catholics. It is also one of the richest countries in the world, in contrast to Ghana.
- South Korea is like Japan and Taiwan. It has little demographic or cultural similarity with Ghana. One thing that does make South Korea more like Ghana than Japan and Taiwan is that it has a much larger Christian population. Furthermore, most males in Ghana and South Korea are circumcised.
- Finland is another highly developed, European country on this list. The country has many freshwater lakes. Its climate is also much cooler than Ghana. In addition, it government has much more liberal laws.
- Netherlands, 7. Germany, 8. Iceland, 9. Canada, 10. Luxembourg
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Ghana
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.