Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other African countries with tropical climates
The top four countries most similar to Liberia are African countries which have English as one of their official languages and use it as their lingua franca. In addition, all of the countries in the top 5 have tropical climates. Another thing the most similar countries have in common is significant populations of both Christians and Muslims.
The least similar countries all have a much higher standard of living. East Asia and Nordic countries are especially different. All these countries are less religious than Liberia. Furthermore, few people with African ancestry live in these countries.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Liberia
- Sierra Leone is located just to the north of Liberia. It is another country founded to resettle freed African slaves. The official language is English in both countries as well. However, Sierra Leone was founded by the the British, not Americans. Still, the countries both have governments that modeled after the United States. They both use presidential system and their courts use a mixture of common and customary African law. Liberia and Sierra Leone are mostly tropical rainforest and their main crop is rice. The biggest difference is that Sierra Leone has a higher Muslim population than Liberia.
- Ghana is another English-speaking country in West Africa. Both countries are mostly Protestant, but also have a significant percentage of Muslims. However, their diet is significantly different. While both countries eat a lot of cassava, Liberia grows and eats more rice.
- Nigeria is similar to Ghana. It is yet another English-speaking African country in West Africa. However, Nigeria has a higher percentage of Muslims. It also gets less rainfall, so the country is less densely forested. Nigeria is also more densely populated.
- Cameroon is not in West Africa, but it still has a lot in common with Liberia. Both countries are mostly Christian, although Cameroon has more Catholics, since it was once a French colony. Although French is the lingua franca there, English is also an official language there. Furthermore, their geography is quite similar. Both countries have tropical forests, although Cameroon has more savanna land. Cameroon’s government is also less democratic, but their laws are extremely similar. Both criminalize same sex relationships and allow polygamy. Furthermore, both countries do not allow prostitution, but allow the sale of pornography.
- Guinea borders Liberia to its north. Both countries grow a lot of rice, although Guinea’s climate tends to be drier. Their diets are also extremely similar, both countries eat a lot of rice and cassava. However, Guineans are mostly Muslim and drink a lower amount of alcohol than Liberians. Furthermore, it was once a French colony.
- Ivory Coast, 7. Tanzania, 8. Benin, 9. Republic of Congo, 10. Zambia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Liberia
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Liberia. Its demographics and culture are especially different. Its language and writing system are completely unrelated than those used in Liberia. Its people are also less religious than Liberians. Not only is their infrastructure much more developed, but they also drive on the left and use a different TV broadcast standard. Still, one similarity is that they both use Type A, B electrical plus. Furthermore, both countries tend to farm and eat a lot of rice.
- Bahrain is a small densely populated island, near Saudi Arabia. It is a mostly Muslim country. The country has many skyscrapers, while Liberia does not have any skyscrapers in the entire country. Its population is also far wealthier than Liberia as well. Furthermore, Bahrain has a much higher percentage of males.
- Israel is located on the African tectonic plate, but it has little else in common with Liberia. Its population is mostly Jewish and most of its people natively speak Hebrew. The country’s infrastructure is also far more advanced than Liberia.
- Qatar is another Arab country in the Middle East on this list. Qatar is quite similar to Bahrain. It is very wealthy and has a high standard of living. However, it is also less democratic than Liberia, since monarchs there still have a lot of power.
- Kuwait is yet another country that borders the Persian Gulf on this list. It is one of the richest countries in the world. In addition, Kuwait is mostly barren desert and does not have forests. Still, the land in both countries is located near the ocean.
- Finland, 7. Saudi Arabia, 8. Iceland, 9. South Korea, 10. Luxembourg
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Liberia
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.