Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other former French colonies in Africa
Many countries in Africa are like Ivory Coast. The top five countries most similar to Ivory Coast all were colonized by France and use French as their lingua franca. All these countries also have a large portion of their land with a tropical savanna climate.
The five least similar countries all have much colder climates. Two are located in East Asia, while the majority of the people in the other three natively speak Germanic languages. Their standard of living is higher and their infrastructure is much more developed.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Ivory Coast
- Guinea is to the west of Ivory Coast. They have a similar standard of living and development of infrastructure. Most of their tanks and guns are Russian-made. One big difference is that there are few Christians in Guinea. Another difference is that unlike some other countries on this list it does not use the West African Franc, despite being in ECOWAS.
- Benin is another country that borders the Gulf of Guinea. It also has a diverse mix of Muslims, Catholics, and Protestants, although it has more followers of Christianity and Voodoo. Ivory Coast grows more cocoa than Benin, but both produce many cashews. Their infrastructure is similar as well since they both use 1 meter wide railroad tracks, Type C, E electrical outlets, and use the same electrical grid, the West African Power Pool.
- Togo also has a mix of Christians and Muslims, although far more people believe in Voodoo there. They have a similar standard of living as well. Furthermore, the countries have nearly identical climate, although Togo’s agricultural areas tend to grow more corn.
- Cameroon is is yet another former African colony of France on the Gulf of Guinea, similar to Ivory Coast. The countries have similar diets, eating cassava and consuming little meat or dairy products. However, Cameroon has fewer Muslims.
- Burkina Faso is a landlocked and drier country to the north of Ivory Coast. Both countries have a significant portion of its population that natively speak Dyula. They also have a diverse mix of Muslims, Catholics, and Protestants. In addition, both drink a lot of liqueur. However, their diets are quite different, since far more corn and sorghum is eaten in Burkina Faso.
- Nigeria, 7. Republic of Congo, 8. Senegal, 9. Ghana, 10. Gabon
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Ivory Coast
- Japan is by far the least similar country to the Ivory Coast. It is a mountainous and heavily populated archipelago with many skyscrapers. Its demographics, culture, and technology are also quite different. There isn’t much in common between the two, except that their people are thinner and shorter than average.
- Canada is the least similar country to Ivory Coast in the Western Hemisphere, despite both countries having French as one of their official languages. It is one of the coldest countries, in contrast to Ivory Coast’s hot tropical savanna climate. In addition, its politics are extremely different. While Canada uses a parliamentary form of government with a constitutional monarch, Ivory Coast has a semi-presidential form of government.
- New Zealand is a mountainous, temperate island with well developed infrastructure, in contrast to Ivory Coast’s relatively flat and tropical savanna landscape. Like Japan, it is much wealthier. Furthermore, New Zealand’s government is far more liberal.
- South Korea is another country that borders the Pacific Ocean on this list. Ivory Coast and South Korea have little in common demographically or culturally. However, they do share some similarity in technology. They both use Type C electrical outlets and drive on the right. However, Ivory Coast’s infrastructure is less well developed.
- Iceland is the least similar country in Europe to the Ivory Coast, despite both countries bordering the Atlantic Ocean. It is far more mountainous and its landscape is sparsely vegetated, due in part to its cold climate. It is also much less densely populated. The country is also far less religious than Ivory Coast.
- United States, 7. Australia, 8. Norway, 9. Taiwan, 10. Bahrain
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Ivory Coast
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.