Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other former African colonies of France
Many countries in Africa are like Ivory Coast. The top 5 countries most similar to Ivory Coast all were colonized by France and use French as their lingua franca. All these countries also have a large portion of their land with a tropical savanna climate.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Ivory Coast
- Benin is another country that borders the Gulf of Guinea. It also has a diverse mix of Muslims, Catholics, and Protestants, although it has more followers of Christianity and Voodoo. Ivory Coast grows more cocoa than Benin, but both produce many cashews. Their infrastructure is similar as well since they both use 1 meter wide railroad tracks, Type C, E electrical outlets, and use the same electrical grid, the West African Power Pool.
- Guinea is to the west of Ivory Coast. They have a similar standard of living and development of infrastructure. Most of their tanks and guns are Russian-made. One big difference is that there are few Christians in Guinea. Another difference is that unlike some other countries on this list it does not use the West African Franc, despite being in ECOWAS.
- Burkina Faso is a landlocked and drier country to the north of Ivory Coast. Both countries have a significant portion of its population that natively speak Dyula. They also have a diverse mix of Muslims, Catholics, and Protestants. In addition, both drink a lot of liqueur. However, their diets are quite different, since far more corn and sorghum is eaten in Burkina Faso.
- Togo also has a mix of Christians and Muslims, although far more people believe in Voodoo there. They have a similar standard of living as well. Furthermore, the countries have nearly identical climate, although Togo’s agricultural areas tend to grow more corn.
- Cameroon is is yet another former African colony of France on the Gulf of Guinea, similar to Ivory Coast. The countries have similar diets, eating cassava and consuming little meat or dairy products. However, Cameroon has fewer Muslims.
- Senegal, 7. Guinea-Bissau, 8. Central African Republic, 9. Republic of Congo, 10. Nigeria
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Ivory Coast
- Japan is by far the least similar country to the Ivory Coast. It is a mountainous and heavily populated archipelago with many skyscrapers. Its demographics, culture, and technology are also quite different. There isn’t much in common between the two, except that their people are thinner and shorter than average.
- New Zealand is a mountainous, temperate island with well developed infrastructure, in contrast to Ivory Coast’s relatively flat and tropical savanna landscape. Like Japan, it is much wealthier. Furthermore, New Zealand’s government is far more liberal.
- Canada is the least similar country to Ivory Coast in the Western Hemisphere, despite both countries having French as one of their official languages. It is one of the coldest countries, in contrast to Ivory Coast’s hot tropical savanna climate. In addition, its politics are extremely different. While Canada uses a parliamentary form of government with a constitutional monarch, Ivory Coast has a semi-presidential form of government.
- United States is yet another former British colony on this list. It is especially different from Ivory Coast, since it has so many guns per capita and its military is much more sophisticated. Like Canada and New Zealand, its laws are more liberal.
- Australia‘s climate is much drier than Ivory Coast. Its technology is also quite dissimilar since it drives on the left, uses Type I electrical outlets, and uses different railroad gauges. However, both countries are not particularly mountainous.
- Norway, 7. Iceland, 8. Switzerland, 9. Denmark, 10. Taiwan
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Ivory Coast
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.