Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other English-speaking African countries, with significant amounts of both Muslims and Christians
With the exception of Ivory Coast, the 4 of the top 5 countries most similar to Nigeria are African countries which have English as one of their official languages and use it as their lingua franca. In addition, all of the countries in the top 5 have had their culture impacted by both Christians and Muslims.
The least similar countries come from two different areas: Nordic countries and East Asian countries. Both these regions are wealthier and less religious than Nigeria. In addition, they are more mountainous and have a lower percentage of farmland. With the exception of Taiwan, they all have a much colder climate as well.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Nigeria
- Ghana is another former British colony on the Gulf of Guinea. There has also been some immigration between the two countries after their independence. Both speak English, have similar electric outlets, and use common law. The countries also have a similar standard of living. However, in Ghana only about 20% of the population is Muslim.
- Sierra Leone was also a British colony, despite its Italian sounding name. It was founded to resettle freed African slaves. Both countries are democracies that use the presidential system of government. However, it has a higher percentage of Muslims than Nigeria and is also less developed. Sierra Leone also gets more rainfall and grows different crops.
- Ivory Coast is also located on the Gulf of Guinea. Both countries have roughly equal amounts of Christians and Muslims. In addition, both have an extremely similar diet consisting of cassava, yams, and fish. However, the biggest difference is that Ivory Coast was a colony of France, so it speaks French, uses different electrical outlets, and a different railroad gauge.
- Tanzania is the most similar country to Nigeria in East Africa. It was originally a German colony, until World War I, when it became a British colony. Like Nigeria, it has a similar mix of Muslims and Christians. Furthermore, its climate is nearly the same, although it is more mountainous.
- Liberia is another English-speaking African country similar to Nigeria. Like Sierra Leone, it was settled by freed slaves, but instead from the United States. Due to its American influence, it uses type A, B electrical outlets, unlike Nigeria. It also has a higher Christian population than Nigeria and is also less developed.
- Gambia, 7. Guinea, 8. Kenya, 9. South Sudan, 10. Benin
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Nigeria
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Nigeria. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, and technology. There isn’t much in common between the two, except that they are both democracies.
- Iceland, like Nigeria, also borders the Atlantic Ocean, but they are extremely different. Iceland uses a lot of energy, created by renewable resources, while Nigeria uses little electricity and has mostly gas power plants. Furthermore, although Iceland is mostly Christian, a significant number are irreligious in contrast to Nigeria, which has a much higher percentage of believers.
- South Korea is another Asian country like Japan on this list. However it is more similar to Nigeria than Japan in a few different ways. It drives on the right side of the road, uses the same electrical voltage, and has a significant percentage of Christians.
- Norway is in the same time zone as Nigeria, however there are not many other significant similarities. Norway is highly developed, but also sparsely populated, in contrast to Nigeria’s relatively undeveloped and densely populated land. Their climates are also quite different.
- Taiwan is the third Asian country on this list. Like South Korea and Japan, its demographics, culture are quite different from Nigeria. However, one major similarity is that both countries have a tropical climate, although Taiwan gets more rainfall on average.
- Finland, 7. Switzerland, 8. Canada, 9. Sweden, 10. Netherlands
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Nigeria
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.