Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other countries in East Africa
The top 5 countries most similar to Tanzania are all located in East Africa and the top 4 all have English as one of their official languages, since they were British colonies in the past. They all have majority Christian populations, although Tanzania has a significant Muslim population as well.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Tanzania
- Uganda is another country that has both English and Swahili as its official language. The diets of their people are nearly identical, since they both eat a lot of corn and cassava. Neither country eats a lot of meat. Despite Tanzania’s large Muslim population, both countries also drink a relatively large amount of homemade liqueur. Furthermore, their laws are also nearly identical. Both countries are very conservative and do not allow prostitution or homosexual relations.
- Kenya, like Uganda and Tanzania, borders Lake Victoria and has both English and Swahili as its official language. In addition, both countries call their currency shillings. They also like soccer, but do not have particularly good national teams. However, Kenya is much more successful in the Olympics, since its long distance runners are some of the best in the world. In addition, their diet is different, since they eat more millet, potatoes, and wheat.
- Zambia borders Tanzania to the southwest and the countries have long been allies. The countries have a similar standard of living. However, Zambia has few Muslims. It is also less densely populated. Furthermore, Zambia gets most of its electricity from hydropower and uses more energy per capita.
- Zimbabwe is yet another former British colony on this list. The countries both have very high employment rates and most of their people work in agriculture. In addition, both countries are have unstable governments. However, like Zambia, Zimbabwe has few Muslims. Its laws are also different, since it does not allow polygamy and has less restrictions on abortion.
- Mozambique is just to the north of Mozambique, so its geography is extremely similar. Both countries have a tropical savanna. They also have a similar percentage of farmland and predominately grow corn. In addition, both countries have a majority Christian population with an even mix of Catholics and Protestants, but also a significant Muslim minority. The biggest difference between them is language. Since Mozambique was a colony of Portugal, its official language is Portuguese. It also does not use the same electrical outlets.
- Malawi, 7. Ghana, 8. Nigeria, 9. Cameroon, 10. Ivory Coast
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Tanzania
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Tanzania. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, and technology. There isn’t much in common between the two, except that both drive on the left. Although, Tanzania does have Africa’s tallest mountain, the rest of the country is not particularly mountainous.
- Denmark is a low-lying peninsula with a lot of coastline. It also has few freshwater lakes in contrast to Tanzania. Although both countries are mostly Christian, Denmark is less religious. In addition, Tanzania’s government provides far less welfare for its citizens. Public school is only free up to the primary grades.
- Switzerland is one of the world’s richest countries and has the most millionaires per capita with around 7.5%. Both countries have a lot of freshwater lakes, but Switzerland is landlocked and much colder. Politically they are especially different. The Swiss have a unique form of government, which has a seven member executive council. It is also one of the most democratic and least corrupt countries in the world.
- Iceland and Tanzania are extremely different in demographics, politics, technology and geography. Its climate is far colder and its people are far more liberal. Although Iceland is mostly Christian, a significant number are irreligious in contrast to the Tanzania.
- Taiwan is another Asian country located in the Pacific Ocean on this list. Like Japan, its demographics and culture are quite different from Tanzania. However, Taiwan’s subtropical climate is more similar to Tanzania than Japan.
- Norway, 7. Netherlands, 8. Luxembourg, 9. Germany, 10. Finland
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.