Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin American countries
Latin American countries are especially similar to Venezuela. They are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages, and have similar governments. Colombia and Ecuador are especially similar to Venezuela. They were all part of the same country at one time.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Venezuela
- Colombia is easily the most similar country to Venezuela. The biggest difference is politics. Venezuela is less democratic and isn’t an ally of the United States. Colombia and Venezuela’s demographics and culture are extremely similar. They both are mostly rainforests and border the Caribbean Sea.
- Ecuador is another country that was part of Colombia, before it gained its independence. The countries have similar culture and demographics, although there are more indigenous people in Ecuador. Its geography is also slightly different, since it does not border the Caribbean and is also much more mountainous.
- Nicaragua and Venezuela are similar politically. They are both countries that are lead by socialist governments. In addition, both have fairly conservative laws, since they do not allow either abortion or gay marriage. However, Nicaragua is less wealthy.
- Mexico is another country on this list that borders the Caribbean Sea. Mexico and Venezuela have a similar standard of living. They have about the same GDP per capita. In addition, they have similar technology since they both use Type A, B electrical outlets and standard gauge railroad tracks.
- Panama was also part of Colombia, before it gained its independence, although much later than Venezuela. Both countries have similar demographics and culture. However, Panama has closer ties with the United States.
- Costa Rica 7. Brazil, 8. Honduras, 9. Dominican Republic, 10. Peru
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Venezuela
- Bhutan has the highest average elevation in the world and is landlocked, unlike Venezuela. The country has especially unique traditions since its people are mostly Buddhist. In addition, its government is a constitutional monarchy.
- Japan is a densely populated, highly developed island country. Obviously, their culture and demographics are quite dissimilar from Venezuela as well. However, both do use Type A,B electrical outlets and also have a lot of rainfall.
- Somalia and Venezuela are at similar latitudes, however Somalia has a much drier climate. Both Somalia and Venezuela have unstable governments, however Somalia far fewer entitlements. While college is free in Venezuela, in Somalia, even primary school is not free. Somalia also has few welfare programs for its citizens.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is another impoverished Muslim country with little demographic, cultural, or technological similarity to Venezuela.
- Nepal is another country in the Himalayas on this list, like Bhutan. It is much poorer and less developed than Venezuela. However, both countries do speak Indo-European languages.
- Bahrain, 7. Kuwait, 8. Qatar 9. Afghanistan, 10. Taiwan
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.