Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to Eastern European countries that were not in the Soviet Union
Many European countries are similar to the Czech Republic. Due to its relatively central position in Europe, it has a mix of different traits from both Eastern, Western, and also Northern Europe. The top five countries are all in Eastern Europe, but four of the five border Western European countries.
Four of the five least similar countries are close to the Red Sea. Their standard of living is much lower than Hungary. In addition, their governments are less democratic and more conservative. The five least similar countries are also mostly desert and have a low percentage of farmland.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to the Czech Republic
- Slovakia was part of the Czech Republic until 1992, so they share similar traits. Czech and Slovak are mutually intelligible languages. Both countries have St. Cyril and Methodius Day as a public holiday. Their diets are similar since they eat a lot of pork. In addition, both countries enjoy ice hockey and soccer. They also have won many medals in canoeing at the Olympics. However, Slovakia is more mountainous and less densely populated. It also relies on nuclear power plants to create energy, not coal plants like in the Czech Republic.
- Poland is located to the north of the Czech Republic. Besides their demographic and cultural similarities, Poland’s technology is extremely similar as well. They both produce most of their energy from coal. They both have potable tap water. In addition, they also have similar electrical, road, and railroad infrastructure. However, Poland is much more religious than the Czech Republic.
- Slovenia does not border the Czech Republic, but it is similar in many ways. They are the two most wealthy Slavic countries. The people of both countries tend to drink and smoke a lot. One difference is that Slovenia is more mountainous and forested so it has a lower percentage of agricultural land than the Czech Republic.
- Croatia is yet another Catholic, Slavic-speaking country on this list. They have a relatively similar standard of living, although Croatia is slightly poorer. One big difference is that Croatia borders the Mediterranean and it has many beaches in contrast to the landlocked Czech Republic.
- Hungary is the only non-Slavic country on this list. Like Czechoslovakia, it was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, before its dissolution after World War I. It is another landlocked country in Europe with an extremely similar climate and terrain.
- Luxembourg, 7. Austria, 8. France, 9. Germany, 10. Belgium
Top 10 Places Least Similar to the Czech Republic
- Sudan is located in the Sahara Desert. Due to civil war, the country’s infrastructure is not well developed. In addition, it is a predominately Muslim country where most people speak Arabic. The country recently lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan.
- Eritrea is another country located on the Red Sea, next to Sudan. Its government has been a dictatorship for almost 20 years. Its unique language and writing system are completely different from Czech. However, a majority of its people are Christian, although they are much more religious.
- Somalia is an anarchic, Muslim country that has poorly developed infrastructure, due tp civil war. In addition, it has a hot desert climate, not a cool temperate forest landscape. It also has a lot of beaches in contrast to the Czech Republic. Still, both countries do use the Latin alphabet, although their languages are unrelated.
- Yemen is located on the Arabian Peninsula, across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is another conservative Muslim country that has poorly developed infrastructure, due to Civil War.
- Niger is a predominately Muslim country in the Sahara Desert. The average age of its people is the youngest in the world. The country is mostly barren landscape and has little agricultural land. However, both the Czech Republic and Niger are landlocked. They also both use Type C, E electrical outlets, although Niger’s infrastructure is far less developed.
- Papua New Guinea, 7. Chad, 8. Gambia, 9. Cambodia, 10. South Sudan
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to the Czech Republic
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.