Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Eastern European countries that are Catholic
Many European countries are similar to Poland. The top 5 countries are all in Eastern Europe. All five speak Balto-Slavic languages and practice Catholicism.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Poland
- Czechia is located to the south of Poland. Besides their demographic and cultural similarities, Czechia’s technology is extremely similar to Poland as well. They both produce most of their energy from coal. In addition, they also have similar electrical, road, and railroad infrastructure. However, although both countries are Catholic, Czechia is much less religious, in fact it is one of the least in the world.
- Slovakia is extremely similar to Czechia, since the two were part of the same country until 1993. The exact border between Slovakia and Poland has changed several times in the past hundred years.
- Lithuania is another country bordering the Baltic Sea. The two countries were united for over 200 years, before being split up by Austria, Prussia, and Russia. However, since Lithuania became part of the USSR, it has a greater Soviet influence than Poland. In addition, Lithuanians are more interested in basketball than soccer, unlike most other European countries.
- Croatia is another Catholic, Slavic-speaking country on this list. However, Croatia borders the Mediterranean and is much more mountainous than Poland. Its beaches make it much more of a scenic tourist destination.
- Slovenia is similar to Croatia, except it is slightly more prosperous and has few beaches. Unlike Poland, its electricity is created by hydroelectric dams and nuclear power plants. In addition, its agricultural production is different. It produces much more corn and grapes than Poland.
- Hungary, 7. Romania, 8. France, 9. Germany, 10. Austria
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Poland
- Somalia is by far the least similar country to Poland. It is an anarchic, Muslim country that has poorly developed infrastructure. In addition, its hot desert climate contrasts Poland’s cool temperate forest landscape.
- Yemen is located on the Arabian Peninsula, across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is another conservative Muslim country that has poorly developed infrastructure.
- Sudan is located in the Sahara Desert. It is similar to both Somalia and Yemen. The country recently lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan.
- Papua New Guinea, like Poland, is a Christian country, however they are mostly Protestant. Apart from their religion, the countries have little similarity. Papua New Guinea is a sparsely populated, mountainous tropical island, in contrast to Poland’s much more densely populated relatively flat landscape.
- Eritrea is located on the Red Sea across from Yemen. Its government has been a dictatorship for almost 20 years. Its unique language and writing system are completely different from Polish.
- South Sudan, 7. Solomon Islands, 8. Bangladesh, 9. Bhutan, 10. Sierra Leone
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Poland
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.