Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other predominately Muslim countries that were colonized by France
The top 5 countries most similar to Niger all were colonized by France. In addition, they all have Islam as their most common religion. However, these countries have secular governments, unlike many Arab countries. Furthermore, the top 4 countries have dry climates.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Niger
- Mali is another landlocked Muslim country in Africa that is mostly desert. The countries also have similar flora and fauna. Both countries were once part of the Songhai Empire. They have very few educated people, although college is provided for free there. In fact, Niger and Mali are the two least literate countries in the world. They also have little medical infrastructure or military equipment.
- Chad‘s geography is similar to Niger and Mali. It is located to the east of Niger. The majority of native people of both countries speak Afroasiatic languages, although they are on different branches of the family. Water is scarce in both countries and they get a lot of their water from underground aquifers. Interestingly enough, Niger and Chad both receive weapons from Ukraine. One big difference is that nearly 40% of people in Chad are Christian. Another difference is that it does not use the West African CFA franc, but it does use the extremely similar East African CFA franc, since it was not part of French West Africa.
- Burkina Faso is located to the west of Niger. Both countries grow millet and sorghum, although Burkina Faso has a much higher percentage of agricultural land. Furthermore, the most common meat they eat is beef. However, only 60% of Burkina Faso’s citizens are Muslim.
- Senegal and Niger are over 95% Muslim, so both countries drink very little alcohol. In addition, while both countries circumcise their males, they do not most of their females are not circumcised, unlike other countries in the region. However, Senegal is not landlocked and the southern portion also gets a lot more rainfall.
- Guinea is to the south of Senegal. Both countries have recently become more democratic following coups d’etat of long-running dictatorships. However, Guinea does not have a large percentage of desert land, like Niger, and its agriculture is completely different. Another significant difference is that it does not use the West African CFA franc, although it is part of ECOWAS.
- Benin, 7. Central African Republic, 8. Mauritania, 9. Togo, 10. Sudan
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Niger
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Niger. Its geography is especially different, since it is a mountainous archipelago with a temperate climate and a lot of rainfall. Its demographics, culture, and technology are also quite different. There isn’t much in common between the two, except that the average height and weight of their people are similar.
- New Zealand is another mountainous, temperate archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, in contrast to Niger’s relatively flat and landlocked desert landscape. Like Japan, it is much wealthier and more developed.
- Canada is another former British colony on this list. Its government is the least similar to Niger’s. Canada is far more liberal and democratic. It is also one of the coldest countries in the world, while Niger is one of the hottest. However, both countries do have French as one of their official languages.
- United Kingdom, like Japan and New Zealand, is an island based country. It is also much more densely populated. It has vastly different traits than Niger, since it was colonized by France.
- United States is yet another former British colony on this list. It is especially different from Niger, since it has so many guns per capita and its military is much more sophisticated. Still, both countries have few laws restricting guns. There are also some parts of the United States that are desert.
- Switzerland, 7. Taiwan, 8. South Korea, 9. Netherlands, 10. Norway
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Niger
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.