Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Sub-Saharan African countries not colonized by the British
The top 5 countries most similar to Angola were colonized by either France, Portugal, and Belgium. As a result, 4 of the 5 countries are mostly Catholic, although they also have a high percentage of Protestants. In addition, these countries all have authoritarian governments, usually lead by dictatorial presidents.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Angola
- Mozambique is another former Portuguese colony in Southern Africa, so it also uses Portuguese as its lingua franca. Although Angola borders the Atlantic Ocean and Mozambique borders the Indian Ocean, the two countries have a similar climate. Both use a small percentage of their land to grow crops but most of their people are farmers and they primarily grow corn.
- Republic of Congo, like Angola, has many native KiKongo speaking people. During European colonization of Africa, these people were split up by France, Portugal, and Belgium. Both countries are members of OPEC and produce a lot of oil. However, Angola also creates a significant amount of power by hydroelectricity as well. The countries have a similar diet as well since they mostly eat cassava and also a lot of fish.
- Democratic Republic of Congo shares a long border with like Angola. Both countries have endured long periods of civil war. They also have similar technology since they use the same Type C, F electrical outlets, 3’6″ gauge railroad track, and drive on the right. They even are part of the same electrical grid, the Southern African Power Pool.
- Togo, like Angola, is another African country with an authoritarian government dominated by one party. However, in Togo, homosexuality is criminalized and its people can be imprisoned for life, unlike Angola. Another difference is that Angola has nearly 50% forest cover, while Togo has less than 10%, since a much higher percentage of its land is used for agriculture. Both countries do grow a lot of corn but also beans and cassava.
- Cameroon is yet another former colony of France on this list. Like Angola, it has a lot of forest cover and not a high percentage of agricultural land. However, Cameroon is mostly located in the rainforest, while Angola is drier. Both countries are members of the Economic Community of Central African States.
- Benin, 7. Equatorial Guinea, 8. Tanzania, 9. Zimbabwe, 10. Zambia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Angola
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Angola. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology. There isn’t much in common between the two.
- Netherlands is an extremely densely populated and developed country, unlike Angola. The Netherlands also has one of the lowest average elevations in the world, whereas Angola has a high average elevation, since it is located on a high plateau. While both countries have a mix of Catholics and Protestants, the Netherlands is not very religious. In addition, the Netherlands is much more democratic and its laws are generally more liberal than in Angola.
- United Kingdom is also quite different from Angola, in part because it was colonized by Portugal. Its technology is extremely dissimilar since it drives on the left, uses different electrical outlets, and also the standard railroad gauge. Its legal system uses common law, not civil law.
- Canada is the least similar country to Angola in the Western Hemisphere. It has a cold and relatively dry climate, in contrast to Angola’s hotter and wetter climate. In addition, its politics are extremely different, being much more liberal and democratic.
- South Korea is similar to Japan, but it is lower on this list, since it has some traits of Continental European countries, which were picked up by Angola. They both use Type C, F electrical outlets and drive on the right. There also is a significant percentage of Christians in South Korea.
- Denmark, 7. Taiwan, 8. Bahrain, 9. Israel, 10. Finland
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Angola
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.