Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other French-speaking Sub-Saharan African countries
The top 5 countries most similar to Cameroon all were colonized by France and use French as their lingua franca. In addition, 4 of the 5 countries have Christianity as their most common religion. In general, they have a mix of Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, and traditional African religions.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Cameroon
- Republic of Congo is another former French colony on the Atlantic Ocean. Both are sparsely populated, tropical countries with little infrastructure. In addition, the countries are politically similar since they are both dominated by a single political party. Furthermore, they use the same currency: the Central African CFA Franc. However, the Republic of Congo has a much smaller population of Muslims than Cameroon.
- Togo is also located on the Gulf of Guinea, like Cameroon. Their colonial histories are extremely similar, both were originally colonized by Germany, but later split up into French and British territories after World War II. In addition, both countries are essentially single party states with dictators as their presidents. Furthermore, both also get most of their power from hydroelectricity.
- Benin is located to the west of Nigeria, while Cameroon is located to Nigeria’s east. Like Cameroon, it is one of the most peaceful countries in Africa, with a low rate of homicide. In addition, its railroads are similar. They also use a 3′ 6″ track gauge.
- Ivory Coast is yet another former African colony of France, similar to Cameroon. The countries have similar diets, eating cassava and consuming little meat or dairy products. However, a majority of its population is Muslim.
- Central African Republic borders Cameroon to its east. It is another hot tropical and relatively undeveloped land. Like the Republic of Congo and Cameroon, it also uses the Central African CFA Franc. However, the country is poorer and has a high homicide rate.
- Democratic Republic of Congo, 7. Guinea, 8. Gabon, 9. Equatorial Guinea, 10. Burundi
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Cameroon
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Cameroon. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, and technology. There isn’t much in common between the two.
- Taiwan, like Japan, has very little similarity to Cameroon. The biggest similarities between the countries are that they drive on the right and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Other than that there is not much in common.
- New Zealand is a mountainous, temperate island with developed infrastructure, in contrast to Cameroon’s relatively flat and undeveloped tropical landscape. Although both countries have a mix of Protestants and Catholics, Cameroon is much more religious.
- Canada is the least similar country to Cameroon in the Western Hemisphere, despite both countries having French as one of their official languages. It has a cold and relatively dry climate, in contrast to Nigeria’s hot and wet climate. In addition, its politics are extremely different, being much more liberal and democratic.
- Iceland, like Cameroon, also borders the Atlantic Ocean, but they are extremely different in each of the five major categories: demographics, culture, politics, technology and geography. Although Iceland is mostly Christian, most are Protestant and a significant number are irreligious in contrast to Cameroon.
- United Kingdom, 7. Denmark, 8. Australia, 9. Switzerland, 10. Netherlands
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.