Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to former French colonies in West Africa and Guinea-Bissau
All the most similar countries to Guinea are located in West Africa and the majority of the people in all five countries natively speak Niger-Congo languages. Four of the five have French as one of their official languages. They also have a relatively low standard of living. In addition, the majority of the land in these countries is tropical savanna as well.
All the least similar countries to Guinea are much more developed and have a higher standard of living. In addition, they have much colder climates than Guinea. Three of the five least similar countries where Germanic languages are natively spoken. The other two are located in East Asia.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Guinea
- Ivory Coast is to the east of Guinea. Their climates and population densities are very similar, although Ivory Coast is less forested. These former colonies of France also have a similar standard of living and development of infrastructure. Most of their tanks and guns are Russian-made. One difference is that there are fewer Christians in Guinea.
- Senegal is located to the north of Guinea. It is yet another former French colony on the Atlantic Ocean. Both countries are mostly Muslim and have a significant percentage of people that natively speak Fula. However, Senegal’s climate is noticeably drier, especially in its northern regions.
- Benin is another impoverished country with very few vehicles and televisions. Both countries also have little improved sanitation. Although the lingua franca of both countries is French, their native languages are only distantly related. Both countries have endured several different coups d’etat. Both use the presidential form of government and unicameral legislatures.
- Guinea-Bissau is just to the north of Guinea. Their landscape is especially similar, both countries have a tropical savanna climate. Both countries have many people that natively speak Fula and Mandinka. However, Guinea-Bissau was once a colony of Portugal, while Guinea was a French colony. Although both countries are predominately Muslim, Guinea-Bissau has more Christians.
- Togo‘s landscape is quite similar to Guinea, although the countries are not adjacent to each other. Both countries are mostly tropical savanna and are not mountainous. In addition, Togo’s laws are fairly similar to Guinea. Both countries have criminalized prostitution and same sex relations. One big difference is religion. Togo has more people practicing Christianity and Voodoo than Islam.
- Mali, 7. Sierra Leone, 8. Burkina Faso, 9. Gambia, 10. Republic of Congo
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Guinea
- Japan‘s geography significantly different from Guinea. It is a mountainous archipelago with a temperate climate. Its demographics, culture, and technology are also quite different. There just isn’t much in common between the two, except that both countries have more males than females. Their people also have a similar average height and weight.
- South Korea is another East Asian country on this list. The countries have little in common demographically or culturally. However, they do share some similarity in technology. They both use Type C electrical outlets and drive on the right. However, Guinea’s infrastructure is less well developed.
- Iceland is the least similar country in Europe, despite both countries bordering the Atlantic Ocean. It is far more mountainous than Guinea. Furthermore, its landscape is sparsely vegetated, due in part to its cold climate. The country is also far less religious than Guinea.
- United Kingdom is another European country located on an island in the Atlantic Ocean, where its people speak a Germanic-language natively. Its infrastructure standards are especially different from Guinea, since it drives on the left, uses Type G electrical outlets, and the standard railroad gauge.
- New Zealand borders the Pacific Ocean like Japan, but it is an English-speaking country on island with a temperate climate like Great Britain. It is also quite mountainous in contrast to Guinea. Furthermore, its laws are also far more liberal. It allows same sex marriage and has decriminalized prostitution. Its abortion laws are less strict as well.
- Canada, 7. United States, 8. Taiwan, 9. Ireland, 10. Australia
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Guinea
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.