Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other Sub-Saharan African countries
Mozambique is similar to many countries. It has a mix of Catholics, Protestants, and Muslims, like many Sub-Saharan African countries. Although Mozambique was colonized by the Portuguese, they drive on the left and have 3’6″ gauge railroads, since the country is surrounded by former British colonies.
The least similar countries are all have a much higher standard of living. Three are located in Asia, while the other two are Arab countries.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Mozambique
- Angola is another former Portuguese colony in Southern Africa, so it also uses Portuguese as its lingua franca. Although Angola borders the Atlantic Ocean and Mozambique borders the Indian Ocean, the two countries have a similar climate. Both use a small percentage of their land to grow crops but most of their people are farmers and they primarily grow corn.
- Tanzania is just to the north of Mozambique, so its geography is extremely similar. Both countries have a tropical savanna climate and have similar flora and fauna. Both countries have a majority Christian population with an even mix of Catholics and Protestants, but also a significant Muslim minority,
- Zambia is another former British colony that borders Mozambique. The countries have a similar standard of living. Both countries primarily grow corn and use hydropower to create electricity. In addition, Zambia and Mozambique have a significant number of Chewa people. However, Zambia has far more Protestants and few Muslims.
- Zimbabwe is similar to Zambia. It borders to Mozambique on its west. Their climate is very similar. However, Zimbabwe’s infrastructure is slightly better. More people have access to drinking water and there are more cars per capita there. Zimbabwe also does not use Type C electrical outlets. In addition, people in Zimbabwe tend to eat less cassava and more corn based products.
- Democratic Republic of Congo and Mozambique have both endured long periods of civil war. As a result, neither country has well developed infrastructure. The diet of both countries is largely based on cassava. However, Mozambicans eat far less chicken. One big difference is that the Democratic Republic of Congo has more tropical rainforests and does not have very much coastline.
- Guinea-Bissau, 7. Malawi, 8. Uganda, 9. Benin, 10. Togo
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Mozambique
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Mozambique. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, and politics. Although Mozambique is much less developed, it does drive on the left and use 3’6″ gauge railroad tracks, like Japan.
- South Korea is another East Asian country with little similarity to Mozambique. One thing that does make South Korea more like Mozambique than Japan is that it has a much larger Christian population. Furthermore, most males in Mozambique and South Korea are circumcised. However, South Korea drives on the right side of the road, unlike Mozambique and Japan.
- Bahrain is an densely populated desert island in the Persian Gulf, so its geography is extremely different from sparsely populated Mozambique. Very little of its land is used for agriculture and it grows different crops. Bahrain is also far more affluent and developed. It drives on the right and uses Type G electrical outlets, unlike Mozambique.
- Saudi Arabia is a predominately Muslim country in Asia. Saudi Arabia’s landscape is quite barren and has little vegetation. The country Saudi Arabia creates most of its electricity using oil and natural gas, while Mozambique primarily uses hydropower. Its government is also an absolute monarchy and has more conservative laws than Mozambique, since alcohol, gambling, and abortion are not allowed there.
- Taiwan is yet another Asian country located in the Pacific Ocean on this list. Like Japan and South Korea, its demographics and culture are quite different from Mozambique. However, Taiwan’s subtropical climate is somewhat similar to Mozambique, although it has a wetter climate.
- Qatar, 7. United Arab Emirates, 8. Kuwait, 9. Iceland, 10. Canada
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Mozambique
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.