Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to the Baltic states and Catholic Slavic countries
Many European countries are similar to Lithuania. The top 5 countries are all in Eastern Europe. The two most similar are also countries that were part of the Soviet Union, before later becoming part of the European Union. However unlike those two countries, it is mostly Catholic, so it is also similar to countries like the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Poland.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Lithuania
- Latvia is just north of Lithuania. Latvian is the most similar language to Lithuanian. In addition, among former Soviet countries, it has the next most Catholics, comprising roughly 25% of the population. The countries also have extremely similar geography. Both countries grow mostly wheat, but also barley, oats, and rapeseed.
- Estonia is another former country Soviet country that borders the Baltic Sea. However, there are some significant differences as well. Estonian is not an Indo-European language. Furthermore, the country is mostly Protestant, however neither country is particularly religious. Both countries have very little air traffic, but have a relatively high number of vehicles per capita.
- Poland and Lithuania were united for over 200 years, before being split up by Austria, Prussia, and Russia. They are both Catholic countries that speak Balto-Slavic languages. However, since Lithuania became part of the USSR, it has a greater Soviet influence than Poland. In addition, Lithuanians are more interested in basketball than soccer, unlike most other European countries. In addition, both use the semi-presidential system of government.
- Slovakia is to the south of Poland. It is another Catholic country that speaks a similar language. However it is landlocked and more mountainous than Lithuania.
- Czechia is another country located to the south of Poland, similar to Slovakia. While both countries are Catholic, Czechs are less religious. Both countries tend to drink a lot of alcohol, however Lithuanians drink more spirits. Another big culture difference is that Czechs are much more interested in soccer and ice hockey than basketball.
- Slovenia, 7. Ukraine, 8. Belarus, 9. Bulgaria, 10. Croatia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Lithuania
- Somalia is by far the least similar country to Lithuania. It is an anarchic, Muslim country that has poorly developed infrastructure. In addition, its hot desert climate contrasts Lithuania’s cool temperate forest landscape. Furthermore, pork is by far the most consumed meat in Lithuania, while in Somalia, it is forbidden.
- Yemen is located on the Arabian Peninsula, across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is another conservative Muslim country that has poorly developed infrastructure, due to civil war.
- Eritrea is located on the Red Sea across from Yemen. Its government has been a dictatorship for almost 20 years, unlike the current stable democracy in Lithuania. Its also has a unique language and writing system that is completely different from Lithuanian.
- Bangladesh is densely populated, hot, and wet, unlike Lithuania. The country is also less wealthy and less technologically advanced. It drives on the left and uses a different railroad gauge than Lithuania. However, Bangladesh’s railroads are more well traveled than Lithuania’s.
- Bhutan is a landlocked and extremely mountainous Buddhist country between China and India. It shares few cultural, demographic, or technological traits with Lithuania. Their diet is especially dissimilar since many Bhutanese are vegetarians and also do not eat a lot of dairy products.
- Sudan, 7. South Sudan, 8. Sierra Leone, 9. Ethiopia, 10. Papua New Guinea
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Lithuania
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.