Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to the most western Eastern European countries
Many European countries are similar to the Czech Republic. Due to its relatively central position in Europe, it has a mix of different traits from both Eastern, Western, and also Northern Europe. The top five countries are all in Eastern Europe, but four of the five border Western European countries.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to the Czech Republic
- Slovakia was part of the Czech Republic until 1992, so they share similar traits. They have especially similar culture. Both have St. Cyril and Methodius Day as a public holiday. Their diets are similar since they eat a lot of pork. In addition, both countries enjoy ice hockey and soccer. They also have won many medals in canoeing at the Olympics. However, Slovakia is more mountainous and less densely populated. It also relies on nuclear power plants to create energy, not coal plants like in the Czech Republic.
- Slovenia does not border the Czech Republic, but it is similar in many ways. They are the two most wealthy Slavic countries. The people of both countries tend to drink and smoke a lot. One difference is that Slovenia is more mountainous and forested so it has a lower percentage of agricultural land than the Czech Republic.
- Poland is located to the north of the Czech Republic. Besides their demographic and cultural similarities, Poland’s technology is extremely similar as well. They both produce most of their energy from coal. They both have potable tap water. In addition, they also have similar electrical, road, and railroad infrastructure. However, Poland is much more religious than the Czech Republic.
- Hungary is the only non-Slavic country on this list. Like Czechoslovakia, it was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, before its dissolution after World War I. It is another landlocked country in Europe with a similar climate and terrain.
- Croatia is yet another Catholic, Slavic-speaking country on this list. They have a relatively similar standard of living, although Croatia is slightly poorer. One big difference is that Croatia borders the Mediterranean and it has many beaches in contrast to the landlocked Czech Republic.
- Germany, 7. Austria, 8. France, 9. Luxembourg, 10. Bulgaria
Top 10 Places Least Similar to the Czech Republic
- Somalia is by far the least similar country to the Czech Republic. It is an anarchic, Muslim country that has poorly developed infrastructure. In addition, its has a hot desert climate, not a cool temperate forest landscape. It also has a lot of beaches in contrast to the Czech Republic.
- Yemen is located on the Arabian Peninsula, across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is another conservative Muslim country that has poorly developed infrastructure.
- Eritrea is located on the Red Sea across from Yemen. Its government has been a dictatorship for almost 20 years. Its unique language and writing system are completely different from Czech.
- Sudan is located in the Sahara Desert. It is similar to both Somalia and Yemen. The country recently lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan.
- South Sudan is a predominately Christian country, but it is much more religious than the Czech Republic. It is a sparsely populated country with not a lot of infrastructure.
- Gambia, 7. Papua New Guinea, 8. Sierra Leone, 9. Bangladesh, 10. Chad
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to the Czech Republic
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.