Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Orthodox Christian countries
The top 5 countries most similar to Ukraine all are Orthodox Christian. They were also part of the the former USSR or the Eastern Bloc.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Ukraine
- Belarus is by far the most similar country to Ukraine. It is another former member of the Soviet Union. However, while Belarus has maintained close ties to Russia, Ukraine has a more strained relationship. Both countries still have a high percentage of Russian speakers.
- Russia has close ties to Ukraine, since the Russian Empire ruled Ukraine for over 100 years, even before it became part of the Soviet Union. Their demographics, culture, and technology are all quite similar. However Russia is far more sparsely populated and has a colder climate.
- Moldova is between Ukraine and Romania. Like Ukraine, it was also part of the USSR, so it has similar technology. Its agriculture is almost identical as well, since they both have over 50% of their land being used as farmland and grow a mix of corn, sunflower, and wheat. The biggest difference between Moldova and Ukraine is their language. Moldova does not speak a Slavic language or use Cyrillic.
- Bulgaria is another country that borders the Black Sea, speaks a Slavic language and also uses Cyrillic. Like Moldova, they also grow a mix of corn, sunflower, and wheat. However, Bulgaria was never a part of the USSR, so it has less of a Russian influence.
- Romania also borders the Black Sea and has a similar climate. Both countries have a semi-presidential form of government and comparable laws. However, like Moldova, it does not have much linguistic similarity.
- Serbia, 7. Slovakia, 8. Lithuania, 9. Hungary, 10. Poland
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Ukraine
- Papua New Guinea is one of the hottest and wettest countries in the world. Its people have little in common demographically or culturally with Ukraine. Furthermore, although its people are Christians, they are generally Protestants, while Ukraine has a high rate of irreligious people.
- Somalia is a failed state located in Africa on the Indian Ocean coast. It is conservative Muslim country with poorly developed infrastructure. In contrast to Ukraine’s farmlands with a temperate climate, Somalia is located in a tropical desert.
- Solomon Islands is another country similar to Papua New Guinea in the Pacific Ocean. Unlike Ukraine, which has a developed military with conscription, Solomon Islands doesn’t even have a military. The islands also need to import all their energy in the form of oil, while Ukraine uses mostly nuclear power.
- Yemen is a conservative Muslim country that unlike other countries on the Arabian Peninsula, is poorly developed. It also has very little agricultural land, in contrast to Ukraine.
- Bhutan is a landlocked and mountainous Buddhist country between China and India. It shares few cultural, demographic, or technological traits with Ukraine.
- Sierra Leone, 7. Bangladesh, 8. Chad, 9. South Sudan, 10. Malawi
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Ukraine
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.