Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Arab countries around the Mediterranean
Morocco is similar to many countries in North Africa and the Middle East. The top 5 countries all speak Arabic and a vast majority of their population is Muslim. They also have similar geography, since they are located in sparsely populated deserts.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Morocco
- Tunisia was also a French protectorate, albeit for a longer time. The two countries share the same public religious holidays. They also both use Type C, E electrical outlets. Their geography is also quite alike. However, Morocco is a constitutional monarchy. In addition, it has a much higher percentage of Berbers.
- Algeria is another former French protectorate, like Tunisia and Morocco. Both countries have many Berber people. From an infrastructure standpoint, they are also quite close. They are both part of synchronous electrical grid of Continental Europe and also use mostly natural gas to create electricity. Furthermore, both uses the standard railroad gauge as well. Still, Algeria’s territory is much larger than Morocco and most of it is inhabitable desert.
- Egypt is also located in North Africa and has a similar standard of living. However, Egypt has more of a British influence than Morocco. In addition, both countries governments are classified as authoritarian regimes, although Morocco is a constitutional monarchy, while Egypt is currently a military dictatorship. Their legal systems are also alike.
- Jordan is another Arab country where the monarchy has considerable power, but both are reforming their governments to have more democratic elements. Both countries are relatively mountainous countries that are mostly desert. However, Jordan is in Asia and is nearly landlocked.
- Syria is yet another Arab country that was once a French colony on this list. Syria is slightly more religiously diverse as it has more Christians and Shi’ites than Morocco. The countries have roughly the same percentage of farmland and predominately grow wheat, olives, and barley. Syria is also considered an authoritarian regime, however it is a dictatorship, not a constitutional monarchy.
- Libya, 7. Iraq , 8. Mauritania, 9. Lebanon, 10. Sudan
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Morocco
- New Zealand is an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean far away from Morocco. It gets far more rainfall. Still, both countries are mountainous. Morocco’s infrastructure is also very different since New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left, and generates most of its electricity through hydropower. In addition, New Zealand is far more liberal.
- Japan is another archipelago with a temperate climate and mountainous terrain in the Pacific Ocean. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology. However, both countries prohibit gay marriage and prostitution, unlike New Zealand.
- Singapore is a densely populated tropical Asian country, in contrast to Morocco. Singapore is also a much wealthier country and its infrastructure is more developed. However, one similarity is that around 15% of its citizens are Muslims. Still, like Japan and New Zealand, their technology is quite different since they drive on the left and use different electrical outlets.
- Iceland is yet another island country on this list. Iceland uses a lot of energy, created by renewable resources, while Morocco uses little electricity and has mostly coal, but also gas power plants. Furthermore, Iceland is mostly Christian and irreligious, in contrast to Morocco, which is mostly Muslim. Iceland’s government is far more liberal as a result.
- Taiwan is a densely populated tropical island, unlike Morocco’s desert landscape. In addition, Taiwan’s demographics are vastly different since their population is much older and its birth rate is quite low. In addition, Taiwan is one of the most liberal East Asia countries. Its government legalized gay marriage and also legalized prostitution.
- Canada, 7. Bahamas, 8. Finland, 9. United States, 10. Switzerland
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Morocco
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.