Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin American countries
There are many countries with a high degree of similarity with Brazil. Latin American countries are especially similar to Brazil since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages, and are neither especially poor, nor especially rich. Their governments also have similar liberal policies except in regards to abortion.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Brazil
- Colombia is the most similar country to Brazil, despite speaking Spanish instead of Portuguese. Both countries share similar demographics and culture. In addition, both have significant portions of their territory covered by rainforest. However Colombia is much more mountainous than Brazil.
- Uruguay used to be a province of Brazil, before it gained its independence in 1828. Its geography is quite similar to the southern portions of Brazil. In addition, both countries share the same electrical grid, which uses mostly hydroelectric power.
- Venezuela‘s geography is very similar to Brazil, since it is also mostly rainforest and borders the Atlantic Ocean. Both countries have similar demographics and culture as well. Venezuela would certainly be higher on this list if its government wasn’t as anarchic.
- Argentina and Brazil are two of the most influential countries in South America. Southern Brazil and Northern Argentina are quite similar, apart from the language difference.
- Peru is also similar to Brazil, however it has more of a Native American influence on its demographics and culture. Both have tropical climates, although Peru is significantly more mountainous. In fact, the Andes Mountains of Peru are the source of the Amazon River.
- Paraguay, 7. Ecuador, 8. Mexico, 9. Bolivia, 10. Panama
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Brazil
- Somalia is by far the least similar country to Brazil. Its barren desert landscape contrasts Brazil’s lush tropical rainforests. Its policies are extremely conservative, compared to more liberal Brazil. In addition, Somalia’s demographics are also dissimilar.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is another conservative Muslim country with little cultural or demographic similarity to Brazil.
- Afghanistan is the third straight Muslim country on this list. Not only does its infrastructure and government differ significantly from Brazil, but also its geography. It is landlocked and quite mountainous compared to Brazil which is relatively flat. In addition, Brazil is highly urbanized compared to the more rural Afghanistan.
- Sudan is yet another African country on this list. It is located in the Sahara Desert and borders Eritrea to the northwest. It recently lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan.
- Eritrea is the only country on this list with a majority Christian population. It is located on the Red Sea across from Yemen. Its government has been a dictatorship for almost 20 years
- Kuwait, 7. Qatar, 8. Nepal, 9. Bhutan, 10. Bangladesh
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.