Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin countries in South America
There are many countries with a high degree of similarity with Uruguay. Latin American countries are especially similar to Argentina since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages. Furthermore, their governments also generally have similar liberal policies.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Uruguay
- Argentina is located across the Rio de la Plata from Uruguay. It is the most similar country in demographics, culture, politics, and geography. Both countries are primarily Catholic, although Uruguay is slightly less religious. However, Uruguay and Argentina have slightly different infrastructure. Argentina’s railroads most often use the Iberian gauge. Furthermore, while both countries use Type C electrical outlets, Argentina also uses Type I, while Uruguay also uses Type L.
- Chile is another South American country with a high standard of living. Chile and Uruguay have extremely similar diets. Their geography is quite different however, since Uruguay is far less mountainous and it grows far more soybeans. Chile is also on the Pacific Coast, not the Atlantic. Still, both countries are highly urbanized and sparsely populated.
- Brazil used to rule the area that is now Uruguay, before it gained its independence in 1828. Its geography is quite similar to the southern portions of Brazil. In addition, both countries share the same electrical grid, which uses mostly hydroelectric power. Both countries celebrate Carnival and excel at soccer. They are also both part of the Mercosur trade bloc. The biggest difference is that Brazilians speak Portuguese, not Spanish.
- Colombia is a similar country to the north of Brazil. Both countries prohibit both capital punishment and life in prison. In addition, they do not have restrictive gun laws. However, its climate is hotter and wetter than Uruguay. While Colombia grows a lot of coffee and fruits, Uruguay grows mostly soybean.
- Peru is also similar to Uruguay, however it has more of a Native American influence on its demographics and culture. In addition, its standard of living is slightly lower. It also is much more religious. It restricts abortion and allows life in prison sentences. Still, both countries provide free college to its citizens and also require them to vote. In addition, the militaries of Peru and Uruguay both use Russian-made battle tanks.
- Venezuela, 7. Paraguay, 8. Mexico, 9. Ecuador, 10. Panama
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Uruguay
- Somalia is the least similar country to Uruguay. It is far poorer and less developed than Uruguay, due to civil war. Its policies, influenced by its Muslim population are extremely conservative, compared to the much liberal Uruguay.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is a Muslim country with little cultural or technological similarity to Uruguay. Its government is unstable and anarchic, in contrast to Uruguay’s relatively stable democratic government.
- Bangladesh is yet another Muslim country on this list that is very conservative. In addition, Bangladesh is one of the wettest and most densely populated countries in the world. In comparison, Uruguay is drier and has a low population density.
- Bhutan is extremely mountainous and has the highest average elevation in the world, while Uruguay is fairly flat. In addition, Bhutan has unique traditions since its people are mostly Buddhist. Its language and writing system are completely different from Spanish.
- Sudan is a Muslim country in Africa, south of Egypt. Its conservative governmental policies are quite unlike Uruguay’s. In addition, its government is lead by the military, following a recent coup. It country recently lost land during civil war to South Sudan.
- Eritrea, 7. Cambodia, 8. Afghanistan, 9. Papua New Guinea, 10. Pakistan
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Uruguay
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.