Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to India and Pakistan
There are relatively few countries with a high degree of similarity with Bangladesh. This because there a few Muslim countries that are tropical and also densely populated. In addition, Bangladesh has a unique culture.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Bangladesh
- India and Bangladesh were united until 1947, so the countries have significant similarities. The biggest difference is that Bangladesh is mostly Muslim. Both countries primarily speak Indic languages and use a similar writing system. There is also a significant percentage of Indians who speak Bengali.
- Pakistan is also similar to Bangladesh, since it is the only other country on the Indian subcontinent with a majority Muslim population. However, Pakistan uses an Arabic script, unlike India and Bangladesh. In addition, Pakistan’s geography is significantly different since its climate is much drier. Pakistan is also quite mountainous, while Bangladesh is incredibly flat since it is located in the Ganges river delta.
- Sri Lanka is another tropical country on the Indian subcontinent. Both countries primarily eat rice and fish. However, the religion of most Sri Lankans is Theravada Buddhism, although they also have a significant amount of Muslims as well. Although Sinhalese script is another writing system related to Brahmi script, Devanagari script is more closely related to Bangla script.
- Nepal has a much more mountainous terrain and temperate climate. Furthermore, its people mostly practice Hinduism, not Islam. The countries still do share many similar cultural points such as speaking Indic languages and having a similar writing system. In addition, both countries love to watch cricket. Neither country has won an Olympic medal as well.
- Indonesia is the country most similar to Bangladesh outside of the Indian subcontinent. It is a tropical and densely populated Muslim country. Both countries drive on the left and primarily use one meter wide rail gauge. Like Pakistan, the country drinks very little alcohol. Like Sri Lanka, it also largely eats fish and rice. However, the ancestry of Indonesians comes mostly from East Asia. In addition, its language and writing system is totally unrelated to Bengali.
- Cambodia, 7. Myanmar, 8. Afghanistan, 9. Sierra Leone, 10. Tanzania
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Bangladesh
- United States and Bangladesh were both former colonies of Britain, but they quite different in almost every aspect. Their diet is vastly different from Americans. In addition, while the United States is a sports powerhouse, Bangladesh has won few medals at the Olympics.
- Canada was also a colony of Britain, but it is extremely similar to the United States, so it is no wonder that it also makes this list. Its sparsely populated, highly urbanized population starkly contrasts Bangladesh’s dense but rural population.
- Switzerland is one of the wealthiest and most developed countries in the world. Switzerland’s geography is also quite different than Bangladesh, being an extremely mountainous, landlocked country. However, both countries do have a large amounts of surface water.
- Iceland is a well developed, sparsely populated island. Not only are their people and culture quite different from Bangladesh, but also their geography. Iceland’s climate is much colder and hardly any of their land is used for agriculture.
- Norway is another extremely wealthy country with little similarity to Bangladesh. While Norway is cold and mountainous, Bangladesh is flat and hot. Norway’s government is also far more liberal than Bangladesh. It is more democratic and has much less corruption.
- Finland, 7. Sweden, 8. Austria, 9. New Zealand, 10. Germany
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Bangladesh
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.