Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin American countries, especially Uruguay and Chile
There are many countries with a high degree of similarity with Argentina. Latin American countries are especially similar to Argentina since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages. Their governments also generally have similar liberal policies.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Argentina
- Uruguay is located across the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires. It is one of the most similar countries to Argentina in every aspect: demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. Both countries are primarily Catholic, although Uruguay is slightly less religious. They also have extremely similar diets, consisting mostly of beef and wheat.
- Chile is Argentina’s neighbor to the west. The two share the third longest border in the world along the Andes Mountains. Like Argentina and Uruguay, it is one of the most developed countries in Latin America. Its technology is especially similar to Argentina because they are the only Latin American countries to use a 5′ 6″ railroad track gauge.
- Brazil is especially similar to Argentina in regards to politics. Both are presidential republics that have Civil Law legal systems with a mix of Napoleonic and Germanic influences. In addition, they generally have similar laws. However, Brazil speaks Portuguese and its population has a more diverse background.
- Peru is also similar to Argentina, however it has more of a Native American influence on its demographics and culture. In addition, its standard of living is slightly lower.
- Mexico is the only North American country on this list. Its demographics are similar to Argentina, since their average incomes are education are comparable. In addition, both countries have some of the driest climates in Latin America.
- Colombia, 7. Paraguay, 8. Venezuela, 9. Ecuador, 10. Bolivia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Argentina
- Somalia is by far the least similar country to Argentina. Its extremely hot climate contrasts Argentina more temperate one. In addition, its policies influenced by its Muslim population are extremely conservative, compared to more liberal Argentina.
- Bangladesh is yet another Muslim country on this list that is very conservative. In addition, Bangladesh is one of the wettest and most densely populated countries in the world. In comparison, Argentina is dry and has a low population density.
- Bhutan is extremely mountainous and has the highest average elevation in the world. In addition, Bhutan has unique traditions since its people are mostly Buddhist. Its language and writing system are completely different from Spanish.
- Papua New Guinea is the only country on this list with a majority Christian population, however it is Protestant, not Catholic. It is located on a tropical island in the Pacific Ocean. It is one of the least developed countries in the world and its people share little genetic similarity with Argentines.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is a Muslim country with little cultural or technological similarity to Argentina. Its government is unstable and anarchic, in contrast to Argentina’s relatively stable democratic government.
- Sierra Leone, 7. Sudan, 8. Cambodia 9. Gambia, 10. Eritrea
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Argentina
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.