Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other Latin American countries
Latin American countries are especially similar to the Dominican Republic, especially those near the Caribbean Sea. They are generally Catholic and speak Romance languages. They also have similar governments that use the presidential system. Few countries are extremely different from it, in part because it is neither especially poor nor especially rich.
The least similar types of countries fall into two groups: less religious East Asian countries and predominately Muslim countries around the Red Sea. Four of the five countries do not have democratic governments. In addition all these countries have a different climate.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to the Dominican Republic
- El Salvador is another densely populated tropical country in Latin America. Their laws are especially similar. They do not allow abortion or same-sex marriage. They also have abolished both the death penalty and even life in prison. In addition, their economies are integrated, since they are both part of the Central American Integration System. One big difference is that El Salvador has far fewer people with African ancestry. It also does not border the Caribbean Sea.
- Costa Rica is located across the Caribbean Sea from Dominican Republic. Both countries have an extremely similar diet, consisting of mostly of rice and wheat staple foods as well as a similar mix of beef, pork, chicken, and fish. In addition, they are some of the more peaceful countries in the region, since they have relatively low murder rates. Both also have a mountainous rainforest landscape with many beautiful beaches.
- Nicaragua is located between El Salvador and Costa Rica. It is another country around the Caribbean that likes baseball, but does not do especially well in soccer. Neither country has qualifies for the World Cup. Both countries are mostly Catholic but also around 30% of their people are Protestants.
- Colombia is the only South American country in the top 5. Its demographics are very similar to Costa Rica, since they have a mix of people with European and African ancestry. In addition, the majority of the people in both countries work in the service sector. Both countries have also won Olympic medals in track and boxing. Unlike Venezuela, Colombia’s government is democratic like the Dominican Republic.
- Panama has also been heavily influenced by the United States. Both countries use 911 for emergencies and Type A & B electrical outlets. They also produce many baseball players. In addition, their agriculture is similar since they both grow a lot of rice and sugarcane. Panama also has the highest percentage of people with African ancestry in Spanish-speaking Central America. However, Panama is wealthier and its infrastructure is better developed.
- Honduras, 7. Guatemala, 8. Mexico, 9. Venezuela, 10. Ecuador
Top 10 Places Least Similar to the Dominican Republic
- North Korea‘s government and laws are far different from the Dominican Republic. Its climate is also colder and it also gets less rainfall. They have very little cultural similarity as well. Korean is completely unrelated to Spanish and they use a different system of writing. Furthermore, the country is far less religious than the Dominican Republic.
- Yemen is an extremely poor and dangerous country in the Arabian Desert. As a result of the civil war there, the standard of living is quite low there. Furthermore, its citizens have far more guns per capita. There is little political or cultural similarity with the Dominican Republic as well, except that both countries have banned abortion.
- Saudi Arabia is located in the Arabian Desert as well. However it is far more wealthy and developed than Yemen. Furthermore, Saudi Arabia is ruled by a monarchy and has much harsher penalties for its criminals. It has a lower population density and its landscape is also mostly barren desert.
- Japan has extremely different demographics and technology compared to the Dominican Republic. Japan drives on the left side of the road and has a much more developed network of transportation. Still, there are some intriguing similarities as well. Japan and Dominican Republic are mountainous island nations. Both countries also have a diet of starches that consists of mostly rice and wheat, although Dominicans eat a lot more fruit. In addition, both countries love to play baseball. They also both use Type A, B electrical outlets.
- Sudan is similar to Yemen. It is another war-torn Muslim nation that borders the Red Sea. As a result, it is far poorer and has less infrastructure than the Dominican Republic. However, Dominican Republic has a significant amount of people with African ancestry. Both countries do not allow abortion or same-sex marriage as well. Still, unlike in the Dominican Republic, gambling and unorganized prostitution are allowed.
- Kuwait, 7. Bahrain, 8. Qatar, 9. China, 10. Somalia
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to the Dominican Republic
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.