Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other Latin American countries, especially Argentina and Uruguay
There are many countries with a high degree of similarity with Chile. Latin American countries are especially similar to Chile since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages. Their governments also generally have similar liberal policies.
The five least similar country have a majority Muslim population. Two are in Asia, while three are located in Africa. These countries all have a much lower standard of living than Chile and their governments are less democratic.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Chile
- Argentina is Chile’s neighbor to the east. The two share the third longest border in the world along the Andes Mountains. Like Argentina and Uruguay, it is one of the most developed countries in Latin America. Its technology is especially similar to Chile because they are the only Latin American countries to use a 5′ 6″ railroad track gauge.
- Uruguay is located across the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires. Both Chile and Argentina some of the highest standards of living in South America. They are primarily Catholic, although Uruguay is less religious. In addition, Uruguay is far less mountainous. While Uruguay’s climate is subtropical, Chile has a wide range of climates from desert to temperate.
- Colombia and Chile have an especially similar political system and laws. Both are part of the Pacific Alliance trade bloc. The Chilean Civil Code was even adopted by Colombia. They are also both quite mountainous. However, Colombia’s agriculture and climate are vastly different.
- Peru is another country that borders the Pacific Ocean. Chile was originally part of the Viceroyalty of Peru, before it gained its independence from Spain. However, it has more of a Native American influence on its demographics and culture. In addition, its standard of living is slightly lower.
- Ecuador and Chile are both extremely mountainous countries that border the Pacific. However, like Colombia, its climate is hotter and wetter.
- Mexico 7. Spain, 8. Venezuela, 9. Costa Rica, 10. Brazil
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Chile
- Sudan is a Muslim country in the Sahara Desert. The country is fairly flat and does not have much coastline. It is impoverished due to recent civil war. It recently lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan. Its laws are far more conservative than in Chile as well.
- Bangladesh is yet another Muslim country on this list that is very conservative. While Bangladesh is a densely populated country located at a low-lying river delta, Chile is sparsely populated and extremely mountainous. The country also drives on the left, although it does use the same gauge as many of Chile’s railroad tracks. Bangladesh also speaks an Indo-European language, although it uses a different writing system.
- Somalia is one of the poorest countries in the world. In addition, its policies influenced by its Muslim population are extremely conservative. The country is not especially mountainous, but it does have a lot of coastline, like Chile. However, despite speaking a completely unrelated language, it uses the Latin alphabet.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is an Arab country with little cultural similarity to Chile. The country has suffered from on-going civil war. However, the country is quite mountainous.
- Gambia is a low lying country in Africa, situated around a river, so it has little coastline. It is a former British colony, so its official language is English and it uses Type G electrical outlets. However, the country does have a similar presidential system of government.
- Niger, 7. Eritrea, 8. Mauritania 9. Chad, 10. Cambodia
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Chile
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.