Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Southeast Asian countries
There are few countries with a high degree of similarity with Cambodia. They are tropical countries located in Southeast Asia. They generally have mix of Indian and Chinese influences to varying degrees.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Cambodia
- Laos and Cambodia were both part of the Khmer Empire and more recently, French Indochina, so the countries have significant demographic and cultural similarities. They have similar public holidays, like New Year’s Day in April, Vesak Day, and Women’s Day. They are also some of the least developed countries in the region. However, Laos is landlocked and more mountainous.
- Myanmar is another country that practices Theravada Buddhism. Both countries have a similar population density and are not very urbanized. One big difference is that Myanmar was once part of British India, so it has a greater British and Indian influence than Laos.
- Thailand and Cambodia were part of the Khmer Empire before the kingdom declined. Their people have relatively similar demographics and culture. In addition, both countries are constitutional monarchies and have similar laws. However, Cambodia is poorer and less developed than Thailand.
- Vietnam, like Cambodia and Laos, was part of French Indochina. It is another Buddhist country, but it differs significantly from the top 3 countries since its people follow Mahayana tradition. In addition, its people are less religious due to its Communist government’s influence. Both countries’ agricultural areas almost exclusively grow rice and their diets are based on it.
- Indonesia is significantly less similar to Cambodia than other countries on this list. Most of its people have a similar ancestry. Their diets are primarily made up of rice and fish. But there are significant differences as well. Indonesia is mostly Muslim. Furthermore, their language and writing system has no similarity to Khmer.
- Bangladesh, 7. Philippines, 8. Cameroon, 9. Sri Lanka, 10. Madagascar
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Cambodia
- United States is vastly different from Cambodia in all five factors: demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. One thing they do share is that they were both European colonies at some point, however Cambodia was colonized by the French, unlike the United States which has a contrasting British influence.
- Iceland is one of the coldest countries in the world. It is also quite mountainous, unlike Cambodia. There is also little in common culturally, since Cambodians send to be really religious, while Iceland is Christian and has many atheists. Its government is also much more liberal than Cambodia.
- Canada, like the United States, has few traits in common with Cambodia. However, one similarity is that they are both are constitutional monarchies. Canada also has less guns per capita and stricter gun laws, making it more similar to Vietnam in these respects than the United States.
- Switzerland is one of the richest countries in the world. It is landlocked and extremely mountainous as well. Its government is much more democratic than Cambodia and its citizens have more entitlements.
- Australia unlike other countries on this list, is relatively close in distance to Cambodia. While Cambodia is mostly tropical seasonal forests, Australia is mostly desert and has completely different flora and fauna. In addition, its technology is quite different since it drives on the left and uses Type I electrical outlets, although the voltage is the same.
- Finland, 7. Norway, 8. New Zealand, 9. Denmark, 10. Luxembourg
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.