Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Arab countries
Egypt is similar to many countries in the Middle East and North Africa. These countries generally speak Arabic with a majority of their population being Sunni Muslim. These countries also have a similar climate, since they are mostly sparsely populated deserts.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Egypt
- Algeria is another Arab country in North Africa that is largely desert. The countries have the same semi-presidential system of government and also similar Muslim laws. In addition, the countries have a similar level of development. However, Algeria has more of a French influence than Egypt, since it was colonized by France for many years.
- Syria was actually part of Egypt for three years between 1958 and 1961, as part of the United Arab Republic. The countries have often coordinated military activity to fight Israel. Syria and Egypt are extremely similar religiously, as both are about 90% Muslim and 10% Christian.
- Libya is Egypt’s neighbor to its west, so it shares similar geography and infrastructure. Both countries use the same electrical grid and use oil and gas to generate power. The countries have similar conservative Muslim policies.
- Iraq is similar to Egypt since it is another country that is mostly desert, where most inhabitants live near a major river. Its flag is extremely similar to Syria and Egypt as well, since they were all derived from the Arab liberation flag. However, there is a majority of Shia Muslims as well as a 15% proportion of Kurds in Iraq.
- Morocco is another North African country similar to Egypt in terms of landscape, culture, technology, and demographics. However, like Algeria, it has more of a French and Berber influence than Egypt. In addition, although both countries governments are classified as authoritarian regimes, Morocco is a constitutional monarchy.
- Tunisia, 7. Mauritania, 8. Jordan, 9. Saudi Arabia 10. Sudan
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Egypt
- New Zealand is a wet and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean far away from Egypt. Their infrastructure also is very different as New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left, and generates most of its electricity through hydropower. In addition, New Zealand is far more liberal than conservative Egypt.
- Japan is another temperate and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean with little similarity to Egypt. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology.
- Canada is a sparsely populated country similar to Egypt, however the similarities largely end there. Canada is much wealthier and its infrastructure is more developed. In addition, it is one of the coldest countries in the world, with lots of lakes and freshwater, in contrast to Egypt.
- Iceland is yet another island country on this list. Iceland uses a lot of energy, created by renewable resources, while Egypt uses little electricity and has mostly gas power plants. Furthermore, Iceland is mostly Christian and irreligious, in contrast to Egypt, which is mostly devout Muslims. Iceland’s government is also far more liberal as a result.
- Switzerland‘s extremely mountainous and alpine forest geography, contrasts Egypt’s relatively dry and relatively flat landscape. In addition, its government is highly democratic and one of the least corrupt in the world, while Egypt’s government is authoritarian and often rigs elections.
- Bahamas, 7. United States, 8. Singapore, 9. Taiwan, 10. Denmark
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Egypt
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.