Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin American countries, especially Argentina and Uruguay
There are many countries with a high degree of similarity with Chile. Latin American countries are especially similar to Chile since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages. Their governments also generally have similar liberal policies.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Chile
- Argentina is Chile’s neighbor to the east. The two share the third longest border in the world along the Andes Mountains. Like Argentina and Uruguay, it is one of the most developed countries in Latin America. Its technology is especially similar to Chile because they are the only Latin American countries to use a 5′ 6″ railroad track gauge.
- Uruguay is located across the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires. Both Chile and Argentina some of the highest standards of living in South America. They are primarily Catholic, although Uruguay is less religious. In addition, Uruguay is far less mountainous.
- Colombia and Chile have an especially similar political system and laws. Both are part of the Pacific Alliance trade bloc. The Chilean Civil Code was even adopted by Colombia. However, Colombia’s agriculture and climate are vastly different.
- Peru is another country that borders the Pacific Ocean. Chile was originally part of the Viceroyalty of Peru, before it gained its independence from Spain. However, it has more of a Native American influence on its demographics and culture. In addition, its standard of living is slightly lower.
- Ecuador and Chile are both extremely mountainous countries that border the Pacific. However, like Colombia, its climate is hotter and wetter.
- Mexico 7. Brazil, 8. Venezuela, 9. Costa Rica, 10. Panama
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Chile
- Somalia is the least similar country to Chile, since it is one of the poorest countries in the world. In addition, its policies influenced by its Muslim population are extremely conservative, compared to more liberal Chile.
- Bangladesh is yet another Muslim country on this list that is very conservative. While Bangladesh is a densely populated country located at a low-lying river delta, Chile is sparsely populated and extremely mountainous.
- Yemen is located in the Arabian Desert across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is a Muslim country with little cultural or technological similarity to Chile.
- Sudan is an impoverished Muslim country in the Sahara Desert. It is a war torn nation that recently lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan.
- Eritrea is the only majority Christian country on this list, however they are mostly Oriental Orthodox. It has a totalitarian one-party dictatorship and poorly developed infrastructure.
- Gambia, 7. Cambodia, 8. Mauritania 9. Sierra Leone, 10. Chad
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Chile
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.