Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to countries on the border between Sub-Saharan Africa and North Africa
Somalia is like other Muslim countries located in dry regions of the Sahel and the Horn of Africa. Most of these countries are quite poor and do not have well developed infrastructure. The native people of the top 5 countries all speak Afroasiatic languages.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Somalia
- Djibouti is the only other country with a majority of Somali people. While Somalia was created from the former British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland colonies, Djibouti was created from French Somaliland. However, Djibouti is a much smaller country and is more developed.
- Sudan is located just below Egypt. Both countries have experienced civil war in recent years, leading to their poverty. In addition, Sudan and Egypt have some of the highest rates of male and female circumcision in the world.
- Mauritania is another country that has a confluence of Muslim and Sub-Saharan African traits. Like Somalia, sorghum is the main agricultural product grown there. Both countries are also members of the Arab League.
- Eritrea is the only majority Christian country on this list. However, over one-third of its population is Muslim. Its landscape is quite similar to Somalia, although it borders the Red Sea, instead of the Indian Ocean. Both countries really on almost exclusively oil power plants. In addition, a vast majority of their weapons are Russian in origin.
- Niger is another Muslim country located in the Sahara Desert on this list. Like Somalia, it has one of the youngest populations in the world. However one big difference is that Niger was colonized by France.
- Chad, 7. Ethiopia, 8. Mali, 9. Yemen, 10. Senegal
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Somalia
- Switzerland is one of the world’s richest countries and has the most millionaires per capita with around 7.5%. In addition, its mountainous alpine and landlocked geography contrast Somalia. Politically they are also far different. For example, while Switzerland has civil unions for its gay and lesbian citizens, Somalia is one of the few countries with the death penalty for same-sex intercourse.
- Japan not only has the least similar culture to Somalia, but also the least similar geography. In addition, Japan has different infrastructure, since they drive on the left and have a completely different electrical system, using 100 volt Type A,B outlets. What made Japan more similar to Somalia relative to Switzerland is politics, since their laws are more conservative compared to Switzerland.
- Canada is one of the coldest countries and one of the most sparsely populated countries with a high rate of urbanization, whereas Somalia is one of the hottest countries and much more rural. They also share little cultural or demographic similarity.
- Taiwan is another densely populated Asian country on this list. Like Japan, its demographics and culture are quite different from Somalia. Its infrastructure is far more developed as well.
- New Zealand is another temperate and mountainous group of islands in the Pacific Ocean, like Japan. It is also one of the most liberal countries, unlike Somalia. The country is mostly Christian, but not particularly religious.
- South Korea, 7. United States, 8. Netherlands, 9. Luxembourg, 10. Norway
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.