Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to India and Bhutan
There are very few countries with a high degree of similarity with Nepal. This is because its culture and geography are extremely different from most other countries. While its geography and technology are most similar to Bhutan, its culture and demographics are most similar to India.
The least similar countries primarily come from two locations: North America and Nordic countries. These countries are mostly Christian, but also less religious than Nepal. Furthermore, they all have a much higher standard of living than Nepal.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Nepal
- India is the only other country with more than 50% of the population that follows Hinduism. The Nepali language is also similar to Hindi. Nepal also has an open border with India. In addition, the Indian Rupee is legal tender in Nepal. However, it is much more mountainous and has a cooler climate as a result.
- Bhutan is another landlocked country in the Himalayas that has little development. However, the two countries have some big differences as well. While the ancestry of Bhutanese is mostly East Asian, the ancestry of Nepalese is closer to Indians. Furthermore, they are mostly Buddhist, not Hindu. Bhutan’s government is also different since it is a constitutional monarchy.
- Pakistan also has significant portions of the Himalayas within its boundaries. The Nepali language is also similar to Urdu, however their writing systems are completely different. Unlike Nepal, Pakistan is mostly Muslim, however the countries due share other cultural similarities. The primary meat they eat is beef and they both do not drink much alcohol either.
- Bangladesh is a flat river delta, in contrast to mountainous Nepal. Its people mostly practice Islam, not Hinduism. Still, the countries still do share many similar cultural points such as speaking Indic languages and having a similar writing system. In addition, both countries love to watch cricket. Neither country has won an Olympic medal as well.
- Myanmar used to be part of British India, before it gained its independence. The country is fairly mountainous, although it is not located in the Himalayas. However, their languages are part of entirely different families. Still, both countries use Indic writing systems, although Myanmar’s is quite different.
- Sri Lanka, 7. Laos, 8. Afghanistan, 9. Kyrgyzstan, 10. Cambodia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Nepal
- United States is by far the least similar country to Nepal. The countries have little technological similarity, since USA drives on the right and uses Type A, B plus with a different voltage than in Nepal. In addition, they have little cultural similarity. Although both countries speak an Indo-European language, Nepal does not use the Latin script. In addition, Americans are mostly Christian.
- Finland yet another highly developed, European country on this list. The country is quite flat and has many freshwater lakes. Its climate is also much cooler than the populated areas of Nepal. However, both countries have large swathes of coniferous forests.
- Netherlands is extremely flat and low-lying, in stark contrast to Nepal. However both countries are densely populated. The Netherlands is also far less religious and far more liberal than in Nepal. While both countries have parliamentary governments, the Netherlands is a constitutional monarchy.
- Denmark is another extremely flat and low-lying country. It also has a lot of coastline, in contrast to Nepal. Furthermore, it is much more developed than Nepal, like other countries on this list.
- Canada is another highly urbanized, extremely cold, and sparsely populated country, like Finland. It also has quite different laws, since it has legalized gay marriage, distribution of pornography, and birthright citizenship.
- Australia, 7. South Korea, 8. Luxembourg, 9. Saudi Arabia, 10. United Kingdom
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.