Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to India, Afghanistan and Bangladesh
There are relatively few countries with a high degree of similarity with Pakistan. It shares traits with the Indian subcontinent, but also traits with some of the poorer Muslim countries. This gives Pakistan its unique character.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Pakistan
- India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan, were originally all one country. However, after the partition of India in 1947, the country was separated on the basis of religion. The nations retain many similarities, despite the fact they are now on unfriendly terms with each other. Pakistan’s official languages English and Urdu (a dialect of Hindi using the Arabic writing system) mirror India’s. In addition, their infrastructure is similar since they both drive on the left and use the same rail gauge. They also use the same electrical outlet and voltage. However, unlike Pakistan its population is mostly Hindu.
- Afghanistan is located just to the north of Pakistan. Both countries are mostly desert and have high mountains. In addition, both are Muslim and their governments practice Sharia law. However, unlike Pakistan, it was never a full colony of Britain, so it has less of a British influence. It drives on the right side of the road and does not have a parliamentary system of government.
- Bangladesh was part of Pakistan up until 1971, so the countries have significant similarities. Although both countries have a majority Sunni Muslim majority population, Bangladesh’s language and writing system are both completely different from Pakistan. In addition, Bangladesh’s climate is quite different from Pakistan. In contrast to Pakistan’s mountainous desert landscape, Bangladesh is low lying and wet, surrounding the Ganges River delta.
- Iraq is the most similar Arab country to Pakistan. Like Pakistan, it had also been ruled by Britain for a time. In fact, the Indian Rupee was even the currency there at one time. Iraq also has a parliamentary form of government similar to Pakistan. These Muslim countries are also primarily deserts with major rivers flowing through them.
- Yemen is another Muslim country on this list that borders the Indian Ocean. Like Pakistan, its infrastructure has yet to be fully developed. However, its government is more anarchic.
- Nepal, 7. Iran, 8. Egypt, 9. Morocco, 10. Syria
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Pakistan
- Finland‘s demographics are vastly different from Pakistan, in part due to the fact that of all European countries it has the least genetic similarity to Pakistan, since Finns have more Siberian genes. In addition, the country is quite flat and has many lakes, in contrast to Pakistan’s dry mountainous landscape.
- Iceland is a well developed, sparsely populated island. Not only are their people and culture quite different from Pakistan, but also their geography. Iceland’s climate is much colder. Furthermore, its government is much more liberal than Pakistan’s.
- Netherlands is a highly developed country, unlike Pakistan. Its average elevation is quite low in comparison. Furthermore, its government’s policies are extremely liberal.
- South Korea is the least similar country in Asia to Pakistan. While both countries are mountainous, South Korea’s culture and demographics are quite different. In addition, its infrastructure is much more developed and its technology is quite different since it drives on the right and uses a different rail gauge.
- Denmark, like the Netherlands, is quite flat and low-lying. Denmark is almost completely surrounded by water, while a relatively small proportion of Pakistan’s border does. Denmark has one of the world’s highest standards of living in contrast to Pakistan.
- Norway, 7. Switzerland, 8. Taiwan, 9. Canada, 10. United States
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Pakistan
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.