Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to both English-Speaking and Scandinavian Countries
Canada is similar to two general groups of countries: white English-speaking countries and Scandinavia. Not only does Canada share a similar climate to Scandinavia, but it also is well developed and has a liberal government. The biggest difference is that Scandinavian countries do not natively speak English, although a high number of their citizens can speak it as a second language.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Canada
- United States is by far the most similar country to Canada. This is in part because they are both originally British colonies. However Canada retained more characteristics of Britain than the United States since it became independent much later. Still, the United States has had a great influence on Canada due to its close proximity. In fact, they share the longest border between any two countries in the world.
- Australia is another former British colony characterized by a large European immigrant population. Its government and demographics are quite similar to Canada’s. However, it is on the opposite side of the earth so its geography is significantly different.
- Norway‘s cold climate is one of the most similar to Canada. Its government and policies are also similar. Both are constitutional monarchies with liberal governments that have similar policies, such as the decriminalization of sex work, single payer healthcare systems, and generous pensions to retirees. In addition, both countries are primarily powered by hydroelectricity.
- Sweden is yet another former Scandinavian country, like Norway, whose climate and government are very similar to Canada. In addition, both countries enjoy ice hockey and winter sports.
- United Kingdom originally founded Canada, so it is no wonder that they are on this list as well. More Canadians trace their ancestry back to Britain than any other country. However its densely populated geography differs differs significantly from Canada.
- New Zealand, 7. Ireland, 8. Germany, 9. Netherlands, 10. Denmark
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Canada
- Somalia is an anarchic, conservative Muslim country with poorly developed infrastructure. It is also located in a tropical desert. Given all of these factors, Somalia is by far the least similar country to Canada and two of the least similar countries in the world.
- Eritrea is another country in Africa, close to Somalia, which is not at all like Canada. It has a conservative totalitarian one-party dictatorship and poorly developed infrastructure.
- Yemen is the only country on this list, not in Africa, but rather at the southern most point of the Arabian Peninsula. It is another conservative Muslim country with an anarchic government, like Somalia.
- Sudan is a poor Muslim country in the Sahara Desert, which recently lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan. Its conservative and undemocratic government is quite unlike Canada’s.
- Niger is similar to Sudan since it is another conservative Muslim country in the Sahara Desert. Its use of technology is the least similar to Canada.
- Chad, 7. Mauritania, 8. Bangladesh, 9. Burundi, 10. Afghanistan
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Canada
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.