Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Sub-Saharan African countries
Mozambique is similar to many countries. It has a mix of Catholics, Protestants, and Muslims, like many Sub-Saharan African countries. Although Mozambique was colonized by the Portuguese, they drive on the left and have 3’6″ gauge railroads, since the country is surrounded by former British colonies.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Mozambique
- Angola is another former Portuguese colony in Southern Africa, so it also uses Portuguese as its lingua franca. Although Angola borders the Atlantic Ocean and Mozambique borders the Indian Ocean, the two countries have a similar climate. Both use a small percentage of their land to grow crops but most of their people are farmers and they primarily grow corn.
- Tanzania is just to the north of Mozambique, so its geography is extremely similar. Both countries have a tropical savanna climate and have similar flora and fauna. Both countries have a majority Christian population with an even mix of Catholics and Protestants, but also a significant Muslim minority,
- Democratic Republic of Congo and Mozambique have both endured long periods of civil war. As a result, neither country has well developed infrastructure. The diet of both countries is largely based on cassava. However, Mozambicans eat far less chicken. One big difference is that the Democratic Republic of Congo has more tropical rainforests and does not have very much coastline.
- Zambia is to the northwest of Mozambique. They have a similar standard of living. Both countries primarily grow corn and use hydropower to create electricity. In addition, Zambia and Mozambique have a significant number of Chewa people. However, Zambia has far more Protestants and few Muslims.
- Guinea-Bissau is another former Portuguese colony in Africa, although it is extremely distant from Mozambique. There are significant religious differences as well, since Guinea-Bissau is mostly Muslim. Both countries adopted the semi-presidential system of government and have similar laws. In addition, both the tanks and firearms in both countries primarily come from Russia.
- Zimbabwe, 7. Benin, 8. Togo, 9. Malawi, 10. Ivory Coast
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Mozambique
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Mozambique. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, and politics. Although Mozambique is much less developed, it does drive on the left and use 3’6″ gauge railroad tracks, like Japan.
- Canada is the least similar country to Mozambique in the Western Hemisphere. It has a cold and relatively dry climate, in contrast to Mozambique’s hotter and wetter climate. In addition, its politics are extremely different, being much more liberal and democratic.
- Bahrain is an densely populated desert island in the Persian Gulf, so its geography is extremely different from sparsely populated Mozambique. Very little of its land is used for agriculture and it grows different crops. Bahrain is also far more affluent and developed. It drives on the right and uses Type G electrical outlets, unlike Mozambique.
- Kuwait is located in the Arabian Desert between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. It is extremely similar to Bahrain. It is also densely populated and quite wealthy. The countries also have extremely different diets, since Kuwaitis do not eat very much pork or cassava.
- Qatar is similar to Bahrain and Kuwait. It is a peninsula in the Persian Gulf, connected to Saudi Arabia. It has one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world in contrast to Mozambique. While neither country is very democratic, Qatar is a monarchy, while Mozambique has a semi-presidential system of government.
- Iceland, 7. Netherlands, 8. Switzerland, 9. United States 10. South Korea
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Mozambique
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.