Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other French-speaking tropical African countries
The top 4 countries most similar to the Democratic Republic of Congo are all former French colonies, located in the tropical regions of Africa. In addition, 4 of the top 5 countries have governments that are run by dictators and tend to be quite poor.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Republic of Congo and the Democratic Republic of Congo are incredibly similar countries. Not only are their names essentially the same, but also they are both are sparsely populated, tropical French-speaking countries. However, the Democratic Republic of Congo was colonized by Belgium, not France. Both have large populations of native Kikongo and Kituba speakers. In addition, both countries are mostly Protestant, but also have many Catholics. The biggest difference may be their electricity production. The Democratic Republic of Congo almost entirely relies on hydropower to generate electricity, while the Republic of Congo mostly uses oil.
- Cameroon is another former French colony, like the Republic of Congo. Cameroon and the Democratic Republic of Congo have both tropical savannas and rainforests. In addition, their governments are similar since they are both one-party states with bicameral legislatures. Both also use 112 as their emergency number.
- Central African Republic is just to the north of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Both countries are quite poor and have little infrastructure. They create most of their electricity through hydropower. Although the countries have a low percentage of agricultural land, they both grow cassava and corn. They also tend to drink a lot of moonshine. Interestingly enough, both have also received military aid from Ukraine.
- Togo is another French-speaking tropical country that borders the Atlantic Ocean. Both countries are ruled by dictators. However, Togo has significantly less restrictive laws restricting abortion. It also prohibits prostitution unlike the Democratic Republic of Congo. Furthermore, Togo is much more religiously diverse. Although a plurality of people there are Christian, they also have many Muslims and people who practice Voodoo.
- Angola is the only non-French speaking country on this list. Still, Angola does have a portion of its population that natively speaks Kikongo, like the Democratic Republic of Congo. They both use 3’6″ gauge railroad tracks and also the same electrical grid. Although Angola has more Catholics than Protestants, both countries have relatively few Muslims. In addition, both countries are run by dictators.
- Ivory Coast, 7. Benin, 8. Gabon, 9. Equatorial Guinea, 10. Mozambique
Top 10 Places Least Similar to the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Japan is by far the least similar country to the Democratic Republic of Congo. Its demographics, culture, politics, and technology are significantly different. There isn’t much in common between the two. Both countries do get about the same amount of rainfall and have a similar percentage of forested area. However, Japan is a mountainous archipelago, while the Democratic Republic of Congo is fairly flat and is nearly landlocked.
- Canada is the least similar country to the Democratic Republic of Congo in the Western Hemisphere, despite both countries having French as one of their official languages. It has a cold and relatively dry climate. In addition, its politics are extremely different, being much more liberal and democratic.
- Taiwan, like Japan, has very little similarity to the Democratic Republic of Congo. Both countries have tropical climates, although Taiwan is more subtropical. Both countries drive on the right and primarily use 3’6″ gauge railroad track, however Taiwan has a much denser network of infrastructure. Other than that there is not much in common.
- Iceland, like the Democratic Republic of Congo, also borders the Atlantic Ocean, but they are extremely different in each of the five major categories: demographics, culture, politics, technology and geography. Although Iceland is mostly Christian, a significant number are irreligious in contrast to the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Netherlands is an extremely densely populated and developed country, in stark contrast to the Democratic Republic of Congo. While both countries have a mix of Catholics and Protestants, the Netherlands is not especially religious. In addition, the Netherlands is much more democratic and its laws are generally more liberal.
- United States, 7. Denmark, 8. United Kingdom, 9. South Korea, 10. Switzerland
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to the Democratic Republic of Congo
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.