Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Central European countries
Many European countries are similar to the Austria, especially since it is part of the European Union. Due to its relatively central position in Europe, it has a mix of different traits from both Eastern, Western, and also Southern Europe. It is Catholic like many Mediterranean countries, but it speaks a Germanic language like many Northern European countries. In addition, the Austro-Hungarian Empire ruled over much of Eastern Europe for centuries, increasing cultural exchange.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Austria
- Germany is another German speaking country in Central Europe. Austria was ruled briefly by Germany during World War II. The countries have similar laws and systems of government. Both have legalized same sex marriage and also prostitution. However its geography is somewhat different, since Germany is not nearly as mountainous. It also has a higher percentage of Protestants, especially if Bavaria is excluded. Still, neither country is particularly religious.
- Switzerland is another landlocked country located in the Alps. A majority of the people in both countries speak German, although Switzerland has a significant amount of French and Italian speakers as well. Both countries like soccer, but also ice hockey and skiing. In addition, both have mandatory military service and many guns per capita. One big difference is that Switzerland is not in the European Union and does not use the Euro. It also has a slightly different standard electrical outlet, Type J.
- Slovenia was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Both countries are mostly Catholic. It is also located in the Alps, like like Austria and Switzerland. As a result, both countries excel at the winter Olympics. They also have similar crops, growing a mixture of corn, wheat, and barley. The one big difference is language. Slovenians speak a Slavic language.
- Slovakia is similar to Slovenia. It was also once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and is a Catholic Slavic country. Its capital, Bratislava is only 100km from Vienna and it is also located on the Danube River. It is also landlocked, mountainous, and well forested. The one big difference is language. Slovenians speak a Slavic language. In addition, it is less wealthy than its neighbor and its government is more corrupt.
- Luxembourg also has German as one of its official languages, although Luxembourgish is the most common language there. In addition, both countries were ruled by the Habsburgs and therefore are predominately Catholic. While both countries are landlocked, Luxembourg isn’t nearly as mountainous. Unlike other countries on this list, it is still a constitutional monarchy, but the countries have similar laws.
- Belgium, 7. France, 8. Netherlands, 9. Czechia 10. Italy
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Austria
- Somalia is an anarchic, war-torn country, Muslim country in stark contrast to Austria. Furthermore, Somalia has little infrastructure. While Austria has a robust railroad system, Somalia does not even have a railroad. It is also much hotter than Austria and not especially mountainous. In addition, Somalia has a lot of coastline.
- Yemen is located across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia. It is another war-torn and extremely conservative Muslim country that unlike other countries on the Arabian Peninsula, is not well developed. Still, both countries are fairly mountainous and have many guns per capita.
- Sudan is located in the Sahara Desert. It is another poor Muslim country, like others on this list, that has recently experienced internal conflicts. As a result, it lost some territory to the newly formed country of South Sudan.
- Bangladesh is one of the most densely populated country in the world and it is located in a relatively flat river delta. Its climate is also extremely hot and wet. It is also Muslim and has conservative laws. Its infrastructure is also far different from Austria, since it is less developed. In addition, they drive on the left and use a different railroad gauge. Although both countries speak an Indo-European language, Bangladesh uses a completely different writing system.
- Eritrea is another country near the Red Sea on this list, but it is the only country with a majority Christian population. However, Eritreans are mostly Oriental Orthodox, but there is also a high percentage of Muslims as well there. In addition, it is extremely poor and its government has been a dictatorship for almost 20 years.
- Mauritania, 7. Niger, 8. Chad, 9. Mali, 10. Cambodia
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Austria
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.